cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stormea
Level 8

Re: Add a function to read data from the blob URL for pen input control in PowerApps

@paul_culmsee Paul it looks like the original method posted in your video does not work for the Pen Control and the Add Photo control. As of the writing of this, (August 8th) both of the controls now have a formatted string that uses some internal app URI

URI appres://blobmanager/[GUID]

Originally these were formatted with an azure based public URI that the dataUriToBinary could handle, now it fails saying that this is an incorrectly formatted URI. The release version for the app I'm testing with is latest: 3.18074.20.

Note: the camera control still generates the long base 64 encoded string that is consistent with how the format the file attachment has through postman . that control still works fine following your process.

Super User
Super User

Re: Add a function to read data from the blob URL for pen input control in PowerApps

I'm interested in this as well. I've hacked together a way to use the Attachment Control to open folders and attatch non-image files in my app, without a Sharepoint data source. (Notice the Excel icon even works).

I can't seem to Patch them anywhere because I can't access the content of the attachement. Its in the format: 

appres://blobmanager/e8b73c9fb5c24f4095bbb536418e0ds/3: 

2018-10-18_18-11-40.png 

How is this accessed?

Thanks!

Medardo_LMC
Level: Powered On

I am also stuck because of this.  There doesn't seem to be a way to pass the binary data.  It just passes the URL.  This is very frustrating.  It would be nice if there was some official documentation on how to do this.

paul_culmsee
Level 8

This problem is solved using a custom connector at the moment. I have a connector / flow combination that allows me to upload photos using both the controls you mention. See this video for detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-8B1fLrqs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paul_culmsee - no your video does not cover the pen input control. Your video covers working with the upload photo and take photo controls which both properly provide the URL as a base64 encoded string which can be used. The Blob URL is in-accessible outside of the app and is not relevant to your video. Please stop saying it is.

paul_culmsee
Level 8

Apologies if I am misinterpreted, but I can confirm that the technique does indeed work with the pen control as well.

zdridos

Hi Paul, but base64ToBinary(triggermultipartbody(0)['$content'])  doesn't work any more !

Highlighted
StevenDR

I can indeed confirm I cannot get this to work either.

The "appres://..." URI has no image information whatsoever, and there seems to be no documentation declaring how to retrieve the image information from this url.

The "appres://..." URI appears to be a "session-based" URI which is only of use while the PowerApp is live.  Whenever the PowerApp is closed, the URI is of no use (so there's no point in saving this URI).

paul_culmsee
Level 8

A couple of things...

1) Now the json function makes all of this easier... http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2019/06/08/getting-pics-to-sharepoint-from-powerapps-is-getting-eas...

2) If you need to get content decoded before sending it to flow using the method above, and you have the problem where appres:// URL is there, just load the content into an image control and send the image control output in the Json function.

Eg take an attachment control in an editform. let's say you are only dealing with one attachment. Set your image propertly on an image control to First(Attachmentcontrol.attachments).value and hide it. 

Now using Json() function send it to flow via json(imagecontrol.image)

In Flow you use json() expression to convert back to json and then you can use decodedatauri to get the file in binary form.

Paul

paul_culmsee
Level 8

Here is a video that shows how to do what I posted earlier...

https://youtu.be/kQVYid1p_vA

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 3,547 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: