cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jdscott
Level: Powered On

App not communicating with Excel table

I copied and pasted two columns into my database table and my app will no longer read data from that table. My database is an excel sheet stored in dropbox and has not had problems until now. 

I've tried deleting formatting from the table, disconnecting the table and reconnecting, deleting the new columns. I've changed the datasource for the gallery to an adjacent table in the same excel sheet and it communicates swimmingly. 

Any ideas what I did to my table that PowerApps will recognize it, but not read any of its data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: App not communicating with Excel table

Hi @Jdscott

For these types of error, I would suggest that you copy all your data into a new Excel file, and to replace your existing spreadsheet with the new file.

I also recommend placing each table in separate worksheet. PowerApps needs to create an auto-generated __PowerAppsID__ column for each table. Placing each table in a separate worksheet prevents any problems that might occur if there isn't space between the adjoining tables in a worksheet.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jdscott

For these types of error, I would suggest that you copy all your data into a new Excel file, and to replace your existing spreadsheet with the new file.

I also recommend placing each table in separate worksheet. PowerApps needs to create an auto-generated __PowerAppsID__ column for each table. Placing each table in a separate worksheet prevents any problems that might occur if there isn't space between the adjoining tables in a worksheet.

View solution in original post

Jdscott

After redoing many of the data and item fields in my app, I finally had the app working again. Then PowerApps stopped communicating with my new table.

What gives? 

Help me out, Microsoft. What am I doing to break your program?

Jabberco

I am having the same problems. Experimenting with PowerApps and the datasource being an Excel file in OneDrive for Business. Cannot get it to work in a stable fashion. Data disappears often, ie. the App is not always updating the Excel file when adding a new record. The format of the date column regularly gets messed up. 

However: using SQL Server on a local machine as the data source works well.

J.

Highlighted
JT84

Despite having my tables on separate spreadsheets I am experiencing problems working with OneDrive for Business Excel. Redoing all my tables in a new workbook is not a solution and should not be accepted as such.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 5,630 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: