cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
geneZebra
Level 8

BUG: anyone finding "Enable formula bar result view" is breaking their app?

I've been seeing that when I have "Enable formula bar result view"  set to on. I sometimes see the wrong value and what makes it worse is that wrong value is used in the production app. The following is the most obvious example. The expression evaluates to true even if I put the Not operater on it. To fix it, I had to run off the "Enable formula bar result view"  setting.  This is fustrating since I was running this in my OnStart function and really had no means to troublehoot it and thought it was due to screen navigation errors

PowerApps 3.19081.26
code to repro:
Button.OnSelect = 

Set (_User, First(Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:"xxx"})));

If (Not(_User.Department exactin Budgets.Department),
UpdateContext({_temp: true})
UpdateContext({_temp: false})
)

I know this is a preview feature but a coding aid should not be breaking the application.

I am curious if anyone else is seeing this. It seems that someone saw some other inconsistent behaviour https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Creating-Apps/BUG-App-ActiveScreen-Width-Height-Orientation-and-... with this setting. 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: BUG: anyone finding "Enable formula bar result view" is breaking their app?

@TopShelf-MSFT et al.

I am seeing a similar strange result this morning but turning Enable formula bar results view off did not fix the problem in my case. 

Here's my example where I have selected CV from the dropdown list.  On Select says to set the visible indicator to true if CV is selected.  Displaying Dropdown1.Selected.Value shows it to indeed be equal to CV, however, CVListVisible is NOT being set to true.    

C3.png

geneZebra
Level 8

I think I've seen strange stuff like this off and on. Usually exiting out of the browser and re-opening the app, seem to correct it. You can also see if truning off the other "preview" or expermintal features helps. 

I'm glad to know these type of bugs are not jsut me but does seem to indicate we are working a live beta vs a released product. It would be help if we can point to a previous framework version in our app  to help ensure we are not chasing newly introduced framework issues. 

Thanks,

Gene

Super User
Super User

Yeah, I did both of those.  No joy.  

geneZebra
Level 8

try breaking the formula with a syntax error (delet or add a char somewhere), waiting for it show up as an error then correcting it. I've seen that too fix things.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @geneZebra ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:2.JPG

3.JPG

Please consider turn off the "Improved app rendering (final validation)" option within Advanced settings of App settings of your app, then re-load your app, check if the issue is fixed.

Also please consider submit an assisted support ticket through the following link to get further help:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
geneZebra
Level 8

Hi Kris,

In my test app, the preview in the formula bar still shows the same value with or without the NOT. It does seem to properly execute at run time. I am not sure if touching that setting you mentioned helped with that but if I do turn that feature off, the studio gives a warning when the app is loaded saying it is using classic rendering and it will not be supported in the future.

I did a little more testing and it seems that for some reason it fails on the actual table but works fine if I put the table into a collection. Below is the code that correctly shows the preview formula value.  Note I am using one drive for business that points to an excel table as the data source. I am thinking we are either using different versions of the framework or the data source type is a possible reason why we are seeing different results.

ClearCollect(_coBudgets, Budgets);
If (
Not(
//_User.Department exactin Budgets.Department
//"" exactin Budgets.Department  // this fails and show the same result regardless of Not highlited
"" exactin _coBudgets.Department // but this works and shows a different result when Not is highlited
),
UpdateContext({_temp: true})
UpdateContext({_temp: false})
)

Thanks,

Gene

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 93 members 3,726 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: