cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsparks
Level: Powered On

Building a form from scratch, then directing the data to a SharePoint list

Rather than importing forms from a Sharepoint list and then customizing them, is there a way for me to build a form from scratch and then direct the data to a Sharepoint list?

How would I go about linking each input in the form to each column in the list? I've got each input type lined up, what about naming conventions? Or is there a way to have the submission create it's own list the first time, rather than sending it into a Collection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Building a form from scratch, then directing the data to a SharePoint list

You can't really change the existing cards that way.  But you can edit the form to add the dropdowns and then set the text boxes to pick up the value from the dropdowns and hide the text boxes. The cards will still be there and still be functional, you just will see the dropdowns instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

BAsically the process is the following:

1. Build a Blank app
  2. Add a Data Source pointing to the SharePoint list
  3. Add a New or Edit form on the screen
  4. In the properties of the form select the SharePoint Data Source you created
  5. In the properites of the form click on Edit Fields and you can choose which fields in the list you want on the form.  Choosing a field will add the appropriate datacard on the form

For a more detailed overview review this article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/add-form 

rsparks

That is the opposite of what I want. 

Rather than building the powerapp by importing fields from the Sharepoint list, I want to build the powerapp from scratch and then have the form data submit into a list as directed. Is this doable or not?

Super User
Super User

If you want to use Forms and Datacards then you have to build the App by binding it to the datasource.

You can also do everything manually, but then you won't be using the built-in datacards.  You'll be using textboxes, dropdowns etc to display or edit your data.  You'll need to code how to get the data into the controls and how to save it.

Following the instructions I gave you will load the data for the selected records into the fields in the form automatically.  If you want to control what does or doesn't get saved then change the OnSelect statement on the Submit button to use Patch() instead of submitting the form.  

rsparks

Can I customize the imported fields to be dropdowns, and pull from another data source for their list? The main function I need is for 1 input to be a dropdown of 3 values, and then depending on which value is selected the following field needs to be a dropdown displaying locations. The 3 values in the first dropdown are regions, and then the second dropdown only displays branches in that region. I currently have a spreadsheet containing all locations.

If I "unlock" the imported input field for region and branch (both of which when imported are just text inputs), how can I change them to dropdowns and pull data from the spreadsheet? If I do so, will they still be able to submit their data to the Sharepoint list?

Jerry1567

Hi, you can do that manually if you want. 

Have a dropdown box or combo box's item property set to your data source that you want to do the lookup.

FirstDropBox's Item Property: FirstDataSource or Filter(FirstDataSource, someFilterFormula)

In the second dropbox, try setting the Items Property: Filter(SecondDataSource, someFieldInSecondDropbox=FirstDropBox.Selected.SomeField)

Then you can create a button with onSelect: Patch(SaveDataSource, Defaults(SaveDataSource), {value1: FirstDropbox.Selected.someValue,  value2: SecondDropbox.Selected.someValue, )
Where SaveDataSource can be a Sharepoint list

Super User
Super User

You can't really change the existing cards that way.  But you can edit the form to add the dropdowns and then set the text boxes to pick up the value from the dropdowns and hide the text boxes. The cards will still be there and still be functional, you just will see the dropdowns instead.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@rsparks 

Yes, you can customize the DataCard as you describe.  You will have to unlock them to alter them.  You can then add any other controls to it that you want and modify the card as needed.

The only important factors to consider are:  The Update property of the DataCard will dictate what is written to your datasource when you submit - that data can come from anywhere based on your formula.  The Default property of the DataCard will dictate where the data is coming from (usually the underlying datasource field) - this can be used then in your formulas to determine what values you want to display.  

If you're working from a datacard that came from the field that you want, then the DataField property should contain what you need - otherwise, adjust accordingly.

You're certainly able to add other controls like DropDown and ComboBox and more to the DataCard, and you can have them lookup and display information from other datasources.  The Form/DataCard doesn't care what you do, it only cares about those key properties mentioned above.

I hope that is clear and helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 180 members 5,015 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: