cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicepilarca
Level: Powered On

Can't view fields from parent entity in CDS

Hi!

I'm relatively new to PowerApps, and I'm testing out its CDS functionality. What I did was I created two entities: Educational History and Faculty. The Faculty entity contains basic information of a teacher like his name and his employee code, while the Educational History entity contains information like a teacher's degrees, the university where he studied, when he obtained them, etc. I attached a screenshot of this entity.

The Educational History entity and Faculty entity currently have a N:1 relationship. Meaning a faculty member can have more than one educational history record (i.e. completed his bachelor's degree, then also completed his masteral degree). I have a column in Educational History entity with the employee code, which I thought would reference the employee code in the Faculty entity.

I aws wondering how I can show the full name of the faculty member in a different column in the Educational History entity using this employee code. I know there is a lookup field created from the relationship, but I am unsure of how to make use of it. When I add the lookup field as a column in a view, it comes up empty. Hopefully you can point me to the right resources, or help me understand the right questions to ask.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff CWesener
PowerApps Staff

Re: Can't view fields from parent entity in CDS

Hi @nicepilarca - while the Data view in the portal doesn’t allow you to navigate these relationships, you can when you’re building your apps or views.

What type of app are you trying to build, and it will help me point you to the right resource?

Thanks,
Clay.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 79 members 3,698 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: