cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarsDP
Level 8

Cannot update a field to an empty value

In the Update function, I can't remove a given value for a colum in my sharepointlist.

For example, in my application, a laborer can assign a time value to a chosen construction site where he has worked.

If he were to edit the record and try to delete the construction site for that day, he would have to put the time value to 0.

In my Update function, I can check for the time value, but there is no function to remove the data for the construction site.

Am I overlooking something?

ANSWER: At the time of writing, you can update a textfield to an empty string, but you can not put a null value. For a numeric field, you can not update this to a null value but this will presumably be taken into account in one of the following updates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Level 10

Re: Cannot update a field to an empty value

Hi Lars, I also cannot find a way to remove the number value.  The text value can be set to empty string no problem, but not the number value.

I think we need a Null value or something like that from the programme team.

In the meanwhile of course, in your Update function you can check for an empty input string and update the record with zero, but this is not satisfactory.

You can start an new idea with "Update a numeric field with null/empty value"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Meneghino
Level 10

Hi Lars, just to understand: are you trying to delete the data of a column for a specifc row (i.e. set the value to empty/blank), or are you trying to delete the entire row of a table (SP list)?  If it is the second, then you can use the Remove or RemoveIf functions.

Thanks.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-remove-removeif/

LarsDP
Level 8

I'm trying to set the value to empty, yes. Trying to Update to an empty string did not work. Is there a keyword to put a blank value to override the current value?

Meneghino
Level 10

Whay is the column type? Numeric, string, date, date/time?  I will try to reproduce your issue.

LarsDP
Level 8

One column is a text field (value is assigned by a dropdown) and the other column is a number (the time value for said construction site).

Thank you in advance!

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi Lars, I also cannot find a way to remove the number value.  The text value can be set to empty string no problem, but not the number value.

I think we need a Null value or something like that from the programme team.

In the meanwhile of course, in your Update function you can check for an empty input string and update the record with zero, but this is not satisfactory.

You can start an new idea with "Update a numeric field with null/empty value"

View solution in original post

LarsDP
Level 8

I will do this immediatly. Thank you very much for your time, you've made this clear to me as I thought I was overlooking something obvious haha. 

Hopefully the team will implement this soon!

PowerApps Staff rgruian
PowerApps Staff

Thank you, acknowledged, and we will consider this feature for one of the upcoming releases.

Radu Gruian [MSFT] ** PowerApps Staff
Meneghino
Level 10

hi @rgruian, is there any update on this?

just to clarify, we need to be able to update/patch any field of a source to a null value, at the moment the only thing we can do is update/patch a text field with a zer-length string (""), but this is not the same thing, we need to be able to set the text fields also to null.

in my application I am stuck with numbers in numerical fields that I have to set to zero to work around, but it does not work with look-up fields that really need a null value if you do not want to look anything up.

many thanks for a great product, and the continuous improvements that you are making.

Meneghino
Level 10

Hello, seems that @rgruian has left the PowerApps staff.  Is anyone following up on this?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 441 members 4,289 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: