cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steelman70
Level 10

Re: Collect with data source, not with collection

Here is an example:

Collect (MySource, {Field1: 123, Field2: "abc"}, {Field1: 456, Field2: "def"}, {Field1: 789, Field2: "geh"})

Where MySource is the data source and Field1 and Field2 are the two data fields of the source.

The code above creates 3 new records in one write operation.

Super User
Super User

Hi

Thanks. But I thought this is always possible with Collect for multiple records.

May i know, as Dang also mentioned, that we can, not only collect multiple records, but also SAVE/PATCH mutiple records into Excel / CDM?

(Though I seldom collect many records at A TIME!)

(Yes, my existing method is AutoSaving using iteration).

Screenshot (2).pngMultpile Records Collect

hpkeong
Steelman70
Level 10

Hi hpkoeng, you can save multiple new records in one operation to CDM and Azure at least for sure with the Collect function.  I am not sure for Excel but you should try.

In regards to patching (i.e. updating) multiple records in one operation, then this can be achieved with UpdateIf, please let me know if you need a detailed example.

Super User
Super User

HI

That's a real new things for me. I will make it a try.

Thanks a lot.

(Guess: Excel Environment is different from Data Container, like CDM)

hpkeong
Steelman70
Level 10

Super User
Super User

Hi SteelMan and Dang:

Great things, esp. SteelMan.

As Dang said, it was not updated in the latest release.

Luckliy we had you trying out because of your experince in other data storage container.

So, Collect can Replace PATCH in this case!

Yes, ClearCollect(MyX, Record1, Records, ...............): Collect(Entity, My X)....works in BOTH CDM and EXCEL.

CDM - Almost Instant (0.5 - 1 sec)

Excel (Dropbox) - Depending on Internet connection to Dropbox (2-4 sec).

Thanks a lot, and we shall try out more options.

If PG is looking at this, then please clarify in the RELEASE NOTES.

hpkeong
mr-dang
Level 10

I ran some tests now that I know that Collect can batch-save to datasource. I think I may have found footsteps leading to the answer you're looking for, @Steelman70.

My original data source was an Excel Spreadsheet. All the formulas previously used Patch. My goal was to switch over to CDM and use Collect instead of Patch. Here are my steps:

1. I changed instances of Patch to Collect:
    Patch(datasource,Defaults(datasource),{})

changed to:

Collect(temp,{},{},{});
    Collect(datasource,temp)
  2. I removed my old Excel datasource and added my CDM datasource of the same name. I assumed that if the name stays the same, all the formulas will be intact.'
  3. The CDM datasource appeared as "datasource_1."

I thought this was a bug, but it happened because all my formulas involving Collect think they are now pointing to a temporary collection. In order to add my new CDM datasource with the same name as my old Excel datasource, I need to remove all instances of the Collect(datasource) formula.

If I understand your original problem correctly--it may be that PowerApps is momentarily misunderstanding the name of your datasource and unsure of its identity as a Connection vs. temporary collection.

It's a chicken or egg problem: did the name of the datasource first appear as a connected datasource, or did the Collect formula come first?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Steelman70
Level 10

Hi Mr Dang, indeed this is the issue.  I wonder if the program team can somehow fix it, but it is difficult to see how.  Maybe Collect should only work with collections and there should be a separate function for data sources.  It is very annoying when this happens because you need to edit all Collects and then re-link the data source and then re-edit all the Collects back again.

Also I think I was having issues because my data sources require being in quotation marks because they contain non-alphanumeric characters and the autocomplete sometimes provides the quotation marks and sometimes not.

Many thanks for following up.

NormanYuits
Level: Powered On

Hi Guys, 
I'm faced with the following issue using Collect (Entity, Temp) function working with CDM entity.

Consider that i have an entity with a "Title" field of NumberSequence type (so it should be incremented everytime i insert new record).

On the Temp collection, i have 2 records within 2 fields ({Field1: A1, Field2: A2}, {Field1: B1, Field2: B2})
Entity has 3 feilds (Title, Field1, Field2).

When i use Collect(Entity, Temp) it inserts only first record!! Whether it's a bug or i missing something? And could you please advice is it possible to instert Temp records to the Entity in another way?

Steelman70
Level 10

Hi Norman, this could be a bug.  However, are you sure that Temp really contains the two records at the time of Collect?

I am sure you know, but you can check this by looking into the collection via the Content -> Collections menu in PowerApps.

I have found the Title field in CDM to be buggy so far.  Unfortunately apart from Collect I know of no other way to write multiple new records to a source.  Obviously you can always Patch one at a time, but this is a bad workaround, the Collect function should work.

Please report the bug if it is still a problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 269 members 5,272 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: