Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ryan_Kocher
Level: Powered On

Combining Multiple PowerApps Together

Hi,

Question:

What is the best practice for PowerApps when combining multiple applications?

Background:

Over the course of the last 3 month's, I have been building out various (separate) PowerApps for my organization. The applications although separate are all apart of a larger process. Current state each of the applications needs to be opened to be accessed.

Options:

1. "Copy" everything (Screens, Buttons, Boxes, Code, Etc.) over to the primary app - Lots of work

2. Create a home screen app, which basically has 2-3 buttons with links to the other PowerApps - Long App Loading Times

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Combining Multiple PowerApps Together

Hi @Ryan_Kocher,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

If you want to combine multiple apps within PowerApps, I agree with the second option that you mentioned almost.

You could consider take a try to create a Home Screen app which only contains one screen. Then within the first screen of the Home Screen app, you could consider add corresponding buttons for your apps. The users could open corresponding app via click the Button (using Launch function).

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:3.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the Button control to following formula:

Launch("https://web.powerapps.com/apps/ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8")

Note: The 'https://web.powerapps.com/apps/ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8' represents the web link of your app. The 'ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8' represents the App Id of your app.

More details about getting App Id (or Web link) within PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid#get-an-app-id

More details about the Launch function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Launch function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Microsoft Employee

Hello @Ryan_Kocher,

Both options are valid and have specific advantages and disadvantages. Having a single application would provide a faster interaction but would use more resources and would also require more time to build.

If the users will be using your applications on mobile devices (especially on older devices with less resources) and your applications are rather complex, I would suggest using one home application that launches other applications. 

Ryan_Kocher

@dinusc, Thank you for the quick response. Users would primarily be using the apps in the computer (aka Tablet layout). 

Microsoft Employee

If the resulting application will never have too many screens (>20 for example), I would go with a single application. Users would appreciate faster response time of changing screens vs loading different applications. The number of screens is not always a good indicator though. An application with less screens that has controls that affect items on many other screens will perform worse than an application with more screens with that work more or less independent. Since you already have separate apps (that you are considering bringing together), you will probably not end up with a very bad performance.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Ryan_Kocher,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

If you want to combine multiple apps within PowerApps, I agree with the second option that you mentioned almost.

You could consider take a try to create a Home Screen app which only contains one screen. Then within the first screen of the Home Screen app, you could consider add corresponding buttons for your apps. The users could open corresponding app via click the Button (using Launch function).

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:3.JPG

Set the OnSelect property of the Button control to following formula:

Launch("https://web.powerapps.com/apps/ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8")

Note: The 'https://web.powerapps.com/apps/ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8' represents the web link of your app. The 'ddc90e22-6519-xxxx-90fd-xxxxd31efcb8' represents the App Id of your app.

More details about getting App Id (or Web link) within PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/get-sessionid#get-an-app-id

More details about the Launch function in PowerApps, please check the following article:

Launch function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Ryan_Kocher

Kris,

Thanks for the response. Considering that the apps have already been build, it makes sense to keep them separate. Another insightful reason to have them separated would be for access control. That way only specific users can access certain apps. I got this idea from Shane Young in another conversation.

I will be going with this solution.

-Ryan

Ryan_Kocher

Dinusc,

I agree. Going forward for this instance I will keep the applications separate; however in the future, if the app is not too complicated, I would try to keep it to just one form rather than multiple.

-Ryan

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 290 members 1,944 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: