cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Compass Proof of Concept app

After watching @KeithWhatling's Locations, Maps, Distance and Compass Bearing in PowerApps YouTube video, I was inspired to try and make a compass-style app that would rotate the heading and map to reflect the user's orientation. With some further inspiration from @h-nagao's LOGO app, I took a crack at it and thought I would share the results. (A link to the exported app is at the bottom of this post.)

This is a rough attempt and I didn't do much to polish it, so keep that in mind. Also, a Bing Maps API key is needed to use the map portion of this app but the compass and the general idea should be there without the maps. (There is a label named BingMapsKey where the key can be entered in the Text property.)

IMG_1198.JPGSample picture

Some explanation: the user can enter a set of lat/long coordinates to put a pin and subsequent waypoint on the circular map at the top. A small, rectangular view of the destination shows below that with some details to the right. There is a zoom feature for the circular map, utilized but the slider control at the bottom. Also, there is a button to set the current lat/long. This is set at the initial opening of the app in the OnVisible section but the button allows the user to reset it at will. I initially had it grab the current lat/long straight from the device but I figured that would burn through too many map views so I set those parameters as variables instead. 

If anyone is interested in more info on the elements involved, I would be happy to follow up/share what I did, particularly the geometry involved. And again huge props to @KeithWhatling and @h-nagao!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Compass Proof of Concept app

@KeithWhatlingI am humbled and happy that you enjoyed it! While you may refer to your videos as little, they aren't little to me. It is no small thing in my book that if I want to learn about something or find some inspiration all I have to do is check out Twitter or fire up YouTube. And having people such as yourself who are willing to share their knowledge and encourage people to grow is nothing short of awesome.

I am happy to share my Twitter and LinkedIn. @ShortForTim is my Twitter handle and here is my LinkedIn. Prepare to be underwhelmed! Smiley LOL I am a bit of a professional lurker on both but maybe that needs to change. I will say hi on Twitter shortly.

Thank you for checking out the app! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

WOW! This looks amazing and I'm liking the styling two. It looks slick.

I'm downloading now to see this in action. Looks stunning. WOW!

Can you send me your Twitter handle or linked in, so we can get you some kudos.

I'm quiet literally on cloud nine that one of my little videos inspired you. Thank you for quoting the community as well.
Super User
Super User

@KeithWhatlingI am humbled and happy that you enjoyed it! While you may refer to your videos as little, they aren't little to me. It is no small thing in my book that if I want to learn about something or find some inspiration all I have to do is check out Twitter or fire up YouTube. And having people such as yourself who are willing to share their knowledge and encourage people to grow is nothing short of awesome.

I am happy to share my Twitter and LinkedIn. @ShortForTim is my Twitter handle and here is my LinkedIn. Prepare to be underwhelmed! Smiley LOL I am a bit of a professional lurker on both but maybe that needs to change. I will say hi on Twitter shortly.

Thank you for checking out the app! 

View solution in original post

seadude
Level 10

@wyotim and @KeithWhatling... NICE WORK! Your definitely giants. Thanks for the shoulders to stand on! Working to implement with Azure Maps now. Will report back. 

Take care

Super User
Super User

@seadudeThat sounds amazing! Please do share! And you are in the giant group in my book. I have gleaned far more from you than vice versa I am sure; I'm just doing my best to keep up with all the awesome people in this community!

YES go for it! Great work.

Locations was a really common "oh really" at ignite this year when talking about powerapps. 

The concept is people have stuff, stuff is some place, someone needs to get it. Its like totally simple but businesses have a real problem with it.

Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for the incredible YouTube video @KeithWhatling and thank you for creating this thread @wyotim!

@TopShelf-MSFT

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 68 members 3,507 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: