cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Re: [DELEGATION] SHAREPOINT LIST FAIL

Problem becomes that AddColumns is not delegable. Smiley Sad

When used with a data source, these functions can't be delegated. Only the first portion of the data source will be retrieved and then the function applied. The result may not represent the complete story. A blue dot will appear at authoring time to remind you of this limitation and to suggest switching to delegable alternatives where possible.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
AndrewLansford
Level: Powered On

That's interesting because I just wrote this function and it does not warn about delegation at all.

CountRows(
    ShowColumns(
        Filter(
            AddColumns('Errors', "RowStatusValue", 'Error Row Status'.Value),
            'Original Sales Order Number(s)' = ThisItem.'Original Sales Order Number(s)',
            'Customer Code' = ThisItem.'Customer Code',
            RowStatusValue = "Reviewed"
        ),
        "Original_x0020_Sales_x0020_Order"
    )
)
Super User
Super User

Are you working with a large list?  I don't believe the delegation warning comes up on it, but if it is a large list, the results will be incorrect.

At least that is what I have experienced with large lists and the AddColumns...just what the docs say.

Our only true solution to large lists is pre-loading them in a collection (this can sometimes be a challenge) and then filtering, and so forth on just that local list.

Makes you really think through the lists you have and how they will grow.  Last thing you want is "it was working before and now it's not" - only to find that the list grew beyond the limits.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
AndrewLansford
Level: Powered On

Ugh. I agree that the documentation is pretty clear that the AddColumns is not delegable, but I can confirm that with my list (a few sharepoint items) it does not warn.

This makes me really nervous about the platform as a whole.

Maybe it's because I'm working with sharepoint as a data source, but I would say that understanding delegation and the work arounds for various scenarios has been the biggest challenge to implementing power apps solutions.

Super User
Super User

I feel that pain!  We primarily use SP as a data source as well and we constantly have to think that through. 

I wish they could implement a SharePoint View as a data source.  That would at least pre-filter lists based on the View settings.  That would not solve the issue, but it would go a LONG way to helping.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 364 members 4,971 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: