cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardB
Level: Powered On

DatePicker empty value

Have been playing some more with the DatePicker in an EditForm, but can't seem to work out how to ensure a blank date is displayed, rather than a date 'selected' by the system depending on the value of the StartYear.

For example, if the StartYear is 2017, then the DatePicker will display 1/1/2017 as the default, however this will then be written to the data source as part of the SubmitForm, with the result that incorrect date values will be recorded.

If you delete this date within the DatePicker, it is then 'replaced' with 31/12/2001

Does anyone have suggestions/workarounds on how to handle this.. was hoping the new version of the DatePicker would accommodate this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
ParakramaDhanan

Re: DatePicker empty value

this can be achieved by doing the following steps
Select DateCardValue -> Advanced Tab -> Remove everything in "InputTextPlaceholder" Smiley Happy 

Happy coding !! 

Parak

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @RichardB,

To allow to clear the date (empty the DatePicker)

Select datepicker control and sets its IsEditable property to true

Now the user can delete the value using the keypad.

Please let me know if options above works for you, happy to further help.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RichardB

Hi Mona,

Unfortunately, this doesn't answer my question, because if you refer back to my original post, you will see that I mentioned that deleteting thedate in the DatePicker appears to cause another date to appear (in my case 31/12/2001) , however the font weight is much lighter than if a 'real date' is selected.

Furthermore, if there was a previous date and you then 'delete' it, the Update process doesn't update the backend database, in this case the CDS. Also it seems you can enter any value in the DatePicker ie 'XXXXX' and it doesn't generate an error. Do you need to configure other properties or build your own validation formulas for this.

Am using the Windows Studio for editing and then testing on Edge browser

Please could you investigate further

regards

Richard

Meneghino
Level 10

Hi @RichardB

Your issue is a well-known one and long standing problem of mine.  For some inscrutable reason, the PowerApps team forgot that null values exist.  They are apparently working on this, but I have seen no progress in months.

This post also gives links to similar ones.  Please add your kudo to the ideas related to null/blank in the Ideas forum.

Thanks.

@v-micsh-msft might be interested in this and may provide an update on progress, if any.

Meneghino
Level 10

dipand

Any update on this one? Still cannot save blank date back to a Sharepoint list.

Meneghino
Level 10

nssystem
Level: Power Up

its now 10/15/2018....  and we still cannot save a blank date !!  Not only will it not save blank dates, MS flow wont return date fields that have blank date values.   MS support responds like this is the first time they have ever heard about this problem, its disgusting and makes us look like fools to our customers. 

Super User
Super User

Hi @RichardB,

Please see my reply to Fless at https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Null-value-for-Date-Variable/m-p/167451#M5613... If this works for you too, please mark the thread as solved. 

Highlighted
ParakramaDhanan

this can be achieved by doing the following steps
Select DateCardValue -> Advanced Tab -> Remove everything in "InputTextPlaceholder" Smiley Happy 

Happy coding !! 

Parak

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 391 members 4,405 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: