cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chi1
Level: Powered On

Difference between forms and PowerApps

Dear Members,

Please kindly to help give some information on the difference between forms and powerapps, and its advantage and disadvantage.

Best regards

Chi

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Difference between forms and PowerApps

Forms is a simple, lightweight application to collect question based input from users.  By selecting pre-defined formats (such as choice, free-form text, rating, etc), form creators only need to enter their question/prompt and configure choice values (if any).  The application handles the UI, storing the data and providing for a review of the data entered.  Users have very little control over the look and feel / UX of the finished form.  Data can be entered, but not edited or configured for display, except through the standard review interface.  It can be stored in Excel or Sharepoint for additional processing outside of the Microsoft Forms applications.   It is great for surveys, quick questionaires or routine input where edit/display from the user is not required. 

PowerApps is a much more robust application which gives the creator complete control over the input, display and storage of information.  Applications can connect to a wide-variety of data sources to display content and allow users to edit the existing content or enter new.  Users have a toolbox of controls available to use but the creator must combine the controls to accomplish their input and output objectives.  There are pre-defined templates which can be used to speed development or you can start with a blank canvas and build exactly what you want.

PowerApps can do everything Forms can, but for anything simple like a survey, you can generally do it much faster in Forms.  I can put together a new survey in Forms in 10-15 minutes.  It could take me an hour or more (depending on which question formats I used) to build similar functionaliy in PowerApps.  I use both, depending on my needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 3,472 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: