Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jarodpearcy
Level: Powered On

Dropdown Default Not Accepting Global Variable

Hello,

I have an app with dropdown controls on two screens.  Both dropdowns have the same item formula and show the same items available.

On screen 1 the dropdown accepts a global variable as Default and changes selected item as as the global changes. 

On screen 2 the dropdown does not accept the global variable and instead gives the error "Expected Record value". 

I can change the value of the screen 1 dropdown as well as label and textbox values on both screens by changing the global value on a button click.

Why does one dropdown not accept a global variable as Default and the other one does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Dropdown Default Not Accepting Global Variable

Hi @jarodpearcy ,

Could you please share a bit more about the second Dropdown that you mentioned? Is it a Dropdown control or a ComboBox control?

Further, could you please show more details about the formula you set within the Items property of the two Dropdown boxes?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think the Second Dropdown (in a Data card of a Edit form) that you mentioned is a ComboBox control rather than a Dropdown control, is it true?

If the Second Dropdown box that you mentioned is a ComboBox, I think there is something wrong with formula you used to set the Default value within the Second Dropdown box (ComboBox).

If you want to set a default value within a ComboBox control, please set the DefaultSelectedItems property of the ComboBox to following:

{
  Value: YourGlobalVariable
}

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jarodpearcy

An additional note: The dropdown that won't accept the global variable for the Default value is in a datacard and the dropdown that does accept the global is not.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jarodpearcy ,

Could you please share a bit more about the second Dropdown that you mentioned? Is it a Dropdown control or a ComboBox control?

Further, could you please show more details about the formula you set within the Items property of the two Dropdown boxes?

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think the Second Dropdown (in a Data card of a Edit form) that you mentioned is a ComboBox control rather than a Dropdown control, is it true?

If the Second Dropdown box that you mentioned is a ComboBox, I think there is something wrong with formula you used to set the Default value within the Second Dropdown box (ComboBox).

If you want to set a default value within a ComboBox control, please set the DefaultSelectedItems property of the ComboBox to following:

{
}

Please take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jarodpearcy

@v-xida-msft ,

Thank you for  your reply.  The control is indeed a combobox.  It was autogenerated in the form and looked identical to a dropdown.  Now I know the difference.

Your suggestion of using

{
}

worked.

Thank you for your insight. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 184 members 4,582 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: