cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msmith
Level 8

Dropdown to update a form

I have this list filled with schools containing their zip code, city, title of school, etc. I successs fully made dropdown1 update dropdown2 to filter out the choices. How do I select dropdown2 to populated that form below it? Additionally, for the drop down, how would I combine duplicate choices. So instead of having 5 Saint Pauls, I would just have the one.

2018-02-14_19-15-34.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Sienna
Level 10

Re: Dropdown to update a form

May I ask you why do you want to use form for that?
msmith
Level 8

It is being used as a notification to selected schools. So when one is selected the form is popluated and a workflow can be used to email the contact for that paticular location.

Sienna
Level 10

But you know you can do this easily by replacing form with a gallery by seting the gallery item to

Filter(datasource, column1=dropdown1.selected.column1 && column2=dropdown2.selected.column2)

Fill the gallery with items you wish and it is done
msmith
Level 8

I am sorry, I left out some info. I guess I didn't understand where you were going with why I wanted to do this.

The base of this form is built on an entirely different list. The information we are working with here is a look up. So a majority of the schools that are picked are local and we have contacts for them. 

The way this works is on the main form the dropdown will be Option1, Option2, then Other. When you select Other you navigate to this a different pages to find the school needed. If I were to do a gallery I could not pull that data into my initial form. I hope that makes sense. 

msmith
Level 8

Shoot, the way I am doing this is not going to work either. I need to add some additional fields to the main form to be populated by these dropdowns.

msmith
Level 8

I think I got this figured out and will update this post once complete. Basicly I am just going to create some additional column and populate those columns using variables. Example Set(varDrop2,Dropdown2.Selected.ID) & Set(varOrganization,Dropdown2.Selected.Title) and set the default field to the variable.

msmith
Level 8

So I have all my variables set and they are working from within the editor, but it is not working when I run the form. So there must be another trigger like update that I need to add to the final dropdown that includes all my variables. 

I am also hoping to find the option in Dropdown1 to combine all that are the same.

Super User
Super User

Hi,

You can use the Distinct function to get only one occurrence of all items. Read more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/functions/function-distinct

To help more, it would be good to see more screen shots of your app. Right now it's not completely clear what you want, at least not for me early in the morningSmiley Very Happy

Good luck!

msmith
Level 8

Sorry I am making this confusing, hopefully this helps. I have a list (Data connection) of 3,800 items that I need to be able to select one item based of City then school name and entered into the form. 

Editing in PowerApps, I can get the form to populate.

EditMode-DataVisible.jpg

When the form is published or in preview it will look like this. Then the next issue is that for drop down1 is that Cities with more that one group are not grouped together and it appears that the drop down is limited to a certain number of items.

Duplicates.jpgDropdown1(limited items and not grouped)Live-Missing-Data.jpgLive or preview

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 376 members 4,779 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: