cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerAid
Level: Powered On

Dropdown values from Form New not passing to Sharepoint list or Form Edit view

I have two cascading dropdowns in my Form Newand Form Edit views (Campus and Department).  The dropdowns receive values from a SharePoint list called Campus_Department.  My PowerApp is connected to a SharePoint list for its fields.  I have Campus and Department fields set up as single line of text in the SharePoint list.  When I select the values from the dropdowns in the New Form view or in the Edit Form view and click submit, the values are not being written back to the SharePoint list.  They show in the form view that they were originally inputed in only.  So if I input them in the New Form view, the entries do not pass to the Edit Form view.  All of the other fields are writing back correctly.

Here are the properties for the two dropdown fields/data cards for both views:

Campus

Items property of dropdown control: Sort(Distinct(Campus_Department,Campus),Result)

Default property of dropdown control: " Select..."

Datacard Update property: Campus  (which is the name of the field in the SharePointList

Department

Items property of dropdown control: Sort(Filter(Campus_Department,Campus=DropdownCampus.Selected.Value), Campus,Ascending)

Default property of dropdown control: " Select..."

Datacard Update property: Department  (which is the name of the field in the SharePointList

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Dropdown values from Form New not passing to Sharepoint list or Form Edit view

Yes. The default property of the drop-down should be different depending on the form mode.
Something like If(IsBlank(Parent.Default)," Select..." ,Parent.Default).
If the form is new, Parent default will be blank, otherwise, if the form is edit, there will be a value in the Parent.Default, so that will be the default value.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Dropdown values from Form New not passing to Sharepoint list or Form Edit view

Hi @PowerAid,

You are probably trying to update a lookup or choice column in SharePoint.  These are embedded tables and the solution is not obvious.  Please review these two references: https://www.sharepointsiren.com/2018/03/cascading-dropdowns-in-powerapps-sharepoint-lookups/ and  @Meneghino's Blog post on this  https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2018/01/15/powerapps-how-to-update-sharepoint-choice-and-looku...  If this gives you the information  you need to answer your question, please mark this thread as solved.

PowerAid

@Drrickryp wrote:

Hi @PowerAid,

You are probably trying to update a lookup or choice column in SharePoint.  These are embedded tables and the solution is not obvious.  Please review these two references: https://www.sharepointsiren.com/2018/03/cascading-dropdowns-in-powerapps-sharepoint-lookups/ and  @Meneghino's Blog post on this  https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2018/01/15/powerapps-how-to-update-sharepoint-choice-and-looku...  If this gives you the information  you need to answer your question, please mark this thread as solved.

No, @Drrickryp, as stated in my original post, the two fields in the SharePoint list that need to be updated are Single Line of Text fields.

Super User
Super User

@PowerAid,

Sorry about that, I think I misunderstood.  If you are trying to add or edit a field to your list,  The Update property of the card in the form should reference the dropdown in it.  So the Update property should be something like -

Dropdown1.Selected.Value. 

PowerAid

@Drrickryp wrote:

@PowerAid,

Sorry about that, I think I misunderstood.  If you are trying to add or edit a field to your list,  The Update property of the card in the form should reference the dropdown in it.  So the Update property should be something like -

Dropdown1.Selected.Value. 

Some good news.  My Update property for dropdowns in the New and Edit form views was set to Campus and Department for the corresponding Dropdowns.  Per your suggestion, I changed the Update property in the New and Edit form views to the format of Dropdown1.Selected.Value for each dropdown and now, at least from the New Form view, the dropdowns are updating the corresponding fields in SharePoint.  Here's the bad news.  When I click on the form and it opens in Edit form, the dropdowns do not show the updated values.  They show " Select..." for each of the two dropdowns.  The Default property for the dropdown fields in the Edit form view is blank.  The Default property for the DataCard in the Edit form view for each dropdown is set to ThisItem.Campus and ThisItem.Department. 

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?  I have a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that the dropdowns are custom datacards and they are obviously not tied to the original fields.

Super User
Super User

Yes. The default property of the drop-down should be different depending on the form mode.
If the form is new, Parent default will be blank, otherwise, if the form is edit, there will be a value in the Parent.Default, so that will be the default value.

View solution in original post

PowerAid

@Drrickryp wrote:

YES!  That fixed it!  I've tested out both New and Edit Form modes and they are updating the SharePoint list properly.  The Edit Form view is now showing the entry from the New Form View!  THANKS!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 3,514 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: