cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisBabs
Level: Power Up

Dynamic Checkboxes

Hi All,

Need some help with an application I am trying to build. Would be very appreciative of any assistance.

I am trying to build a page on my team SharePoint site that pulls data from a database via query, and puts checkboxes on each item pulled. The idea is that once these items are pulled, someone can view, click the necessary checkboxes to approve the items.

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimRohr
Level 10

Re: Dynamic Checkboxes

You can embed a powerapp in your SharePoint site, or you can use a powerapp form to manage entry to a SharePoint list. Based on your mention of a database, you're probably looking for the former.

Your question is overly broad, so this is probably something where you're going to have to start working and post back with more specifics. To get you started, you're going to have to:

1) have a database with the records that you want to modify

2) make sure the records already have yes/no type fields to represent the user's interaction with the record

----OR----

2a) know what would change in the record based on the user's interaction (for instance, maybe you don't have a yes/no field, but you do have a text field that records the user's login and a time stamp, and you will populate that based on user actions in a powerapps screen)

3) build an app and tie in your datasource

4) create a screen that allows the user to drill to the particular record in the datasource

5) add the checkboxes, toggles, or buttons to the screen, and either tie them to the associated fields, or build the action statements that otherwise affect the record (like step 2a).

6) embed the app in your sharepoint site.

Get started on that process, and let us know a specific problem you run into.

3 REPLIES 3
TimRohr
Level 10

You can embed a powerapp in your SharePoint site, or you can use a powerapp form to manage entry to a SharePoint list. Based on your mention of a database, you're probably looking for the former.

Your question is overly broad, so this is probably something where you're going to have to start working and post back with more specifics. To get you started, you're going to have to:

1) have a database with the records that you want to modify

2) make sure the records already have yes/no type fields to represent the user's interaction with the record

----OR----

2a) know what would change in the record based on the user's interaction (for instance, maybe you don't have a yes/no field, but you do have a text field that records the user's login and a time stamp, and you will populate that based on user actions in a powerapps screen)

3) build an app and tie in your datasource

4) create a screen that allows the user to drill to the particular record in the datasource

5) add the checkboxes, toggles, or buttons to the screen, and either tie them to the associated fields, or build the action statements that otherwise affect the record (like step 2a).

6) embed the app in your sharepoint site.

Get started on that process, and let us know a specific problem you run into.

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ChrisBabs,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to custom a form for your SP list? Do you want to pull data from your database into your custom form?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I agree with @TimRohr's thought almost. I think you want to custom a form (which retrieves data from a database) within your SP list, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, I think the Gallery control could achieve your needs. Please check the following workaround:5.JPG

Add a new screen within your custom form, and move it up to the first screen. Add a Gallery control within the new created screen, set the Items property of the Gallery to following:

'YourDataBase'   /* <- e.g. A SQL table */

Add a Checkbox control within above Gallery. After that, you could process approve operation via clicking "Approve" button.

If you want to get all checked item within your Gallery (Gallery1), please take a try with the following formula:

Filter(Gallery1.AllItems, Checkbox1.Value = true)

In addition, I suppose you may would like to do some bulk operation based on the checked items within your Gallery, I think the ForAll function could achieve your needs. If you also want to patch data to your database, I think the Patch function could achieve your needs. 

More details about ForAll function ,Filter function and Patch function, please check the following article:

ForAll function

Filter function

Patch function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for your help with this thread @TimRohr and @v-xida-msft

@ChrisBabs can you review the replies and update the thread?

@TopShelf-MSFT

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 451 members 5,399 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: