cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sommerlund
Level: Powered On

Editing excel data locks it for my App

When I am editing my spreadsheet which backs my data source (from one drive) if a user opens the app for the first time they get a message that the data source has been locked. No data is available in the app. How can I manage making changes to the backend spreadsheet when my app goes live (without incurring these errors for users)?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheRobRush
Level 8

Re: Editing excel data locks it for my App

you cannot have an excel spreadsheet open and being used at the same time a powerapps app is editing it. also if you happen to have multiple devices running powerapps simultaneously and two or three of them (this is rare odds wise but happens) try to edit a spreadsheet at the exact same moment you will also get an error.

for data sources being edited in multiple places simultaneously it is far better to use sharepoint lists.

if you also need a copy in excel later, just set up a flow that runs nightly to copy any new records into excel.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TheRobRush
Level 8

you cannot have an excel spreadsheet open and being used at the same time a powerapps app is editing it. also if you happen to have multiple devices running powerapps simultaneously and two or three of them (this is rare odds wise but happens) try to edit a spreadsheet at the exact same moment you will also get an error.

for data sources being edited in multiple places simultaneously it is far better to use sharepoint lists.

if you also need a copy in excel later, just set up a flow that runs nightly to copy any new records into excel.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
sommerlund
Level: Powered On

@TheRobRush wrote:

Thanks @TheRobRush .
I prefer using excel over the sharepoint lists for for various reasons.  But I understand this a little better now thank you for that feedback.  I haven't used flows yet.  Something else I'll have to learn.  Can you help me out a little getting started where to look to create a flow that "runs nightly to copy new records into excel".

TheRobRush
Level 8

Yah man. Above your sharepoint list there will be a flow button. Click it and then select create flow. You will select to create a scheduled flow. Set its repetition to 1 and daily then set a convenient time. After that step it will be get sharepoint items (and choose your sp list). After that create row in excel table. Then delete sp list. These will be foralls based on your original get items. Its very easy once you are therw in flow its very intuitive and will help you itself. (Be sure to set your table up in excel before hand and load it to your sharepoint site so that flow can access it

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 107 members 3,345 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: