cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webdevguy
Level: Powered On

Entities as the backend

Are entities basically like data tables that can be used by PowerApps? If so, any way to group entities for a specific app? Are entities better to use for my powerapps backend than excel or sharepoint lists?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Entities as the backend

"By grouping entities for a specific app" I mean this: I'll probably have several apps, each with a few entities, if I go this route. Will all of the entities be listed together? Or can I group them per app? Hope that makes sense.

If you have several apps that connect to the same of entities, all of those apps will share the same data. I think that's what you mean? To work around around this, it's possible to add fields to the standard entities. Therefore, you can add an 'app id' field to the entities and use that to distinguish the data between your different apps.

Does the CDS have the same security "hole" as excel. For example, you have to give all users read/write permissions to the actual excel file. So, essentially they can bypass the app and edit the Excel file directly. (I don't like this at all, but that's how things are setup with powerapps apparently.)

The CDS provides better security than Excel. This screenshot illustrates how you can granually control what users can do. You can grant data access through permission sets, and assign users to those permission sets.

PermissionSets.JPG

Also, if I end up doing SQL Server, is it more "secure" in this respect, that users won't be able to edit the data directly but will have to go through the app?

The risk with SQL Server (and the same can apply to the CDS, depending on how you set up permissions) is that someone can create a new PowerApp and connect to SQL Server using the SQL connection that you defined for your app. Effectively, this would allow a user to edit data outside of your app.

@Anonymousexplains this much more fully here, and you can vote on his idea to fix this problem.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Making-SQL-Connector-Secure/idi-p/112599

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @webdevguy

Yes, an entity is the CDS (Common Data Service) equivalent of a database table. I'm not sure what you mean by grouping entities for a specific app, but it's possible to add multiple entities to an app.

The CDS is more robust than Excel, and includes more delegable operators compared to SharePoint. Therefore, certain queries will perform better with a CDS datasource.

webdevguy
Level: Powered On

@timl wrote:

Hi @webdevguy

Yes, an entity is the CDS (Common Data Service) equivalent of a database table. I'm not sure what you mean by grouping entities for a specific app, but it's possible to add multiple entities to an app.

The CDS is more robust than Excel, and includes more delegable operators compared to SharePoint. Therefore, certain queries will perform better with a CDS datasource.

"By grouping entities for a specific app" I mean this: I'll probably have several apps, each with a few entities, if I go this route. Will all of the entities be listed together? Or can I group them per app? Hope that makes sense.

Does the CDS have the same security "hole" as excel. For example, you have to give all users read/write permissions to the actual excel file. So, essentially they can bypass the app and edit the Excel file directly. (I don't like this at all, but that's how things are setup with powerapps apparently.)

Also, if I end up doing SQL Server, is it more "secure" in this respect, that users won't be able to edit the data directly but will have to go through the app?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

If you have several apps that connect to the same of entities, all of those apps will share the same data. I think that's what you mean? To work around around this, it's possible to add fields to the standard entities. Therefore, you can add an 'app id' field to the entities and use that to distinguish the data between your different apps.

The CDS provides better security than Excel. This screenshot illustrates how you can granually control what users can do. You can grant data access through permission sets, and assign users to those permission sets.

PermissionSets.JPG

The risk with SQL Server (and the same can apply to the CDS, depending on how you set up permissions) is that someone can create a new PowerApp and connect to SQL Server using the SQL connection that you defined for your app. Effectively, this would allow a user to edit data outside of your app.

@Anonymousexplains this much more fully here, and you can vote on his idea to fix this problem.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Making-SQL-Connector-Secure/idi-p/112599

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 293 members 4,473 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: