cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JV_DXB
Level: Powered On

Excel shared via One Drive

Hello,

I have an excel file which is shared to me by another user (owner) via One Drive. How can i use this excel file as my data source? I cannot see any files under "Shared with Me" section when i open one drive from Power Apps.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Excel shared via One Drive

@JV_DXB 

Currently, the Excel file needs to be in your OneDrive folders, not from a shared source.

You could copy the file to your OneDrive and then you would be able to use it.

I hope that helps you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JV_DXB ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create a connection to the Excel file existed in the "Shred with me" in your OneDrive?

Currently, within PowerApps, we could only create a connection to Excel files stored in OneDrive Files folder (root folder) from an app. We could not create a connection to Excel files stored in the "Shred with me" from an app.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, you could consider Copy the Excel file stored in your "Shred with me" to the Excel files folder in your OneDrive, and then you could create a connection to this copied Excel file in your OneDrive Excel files folder from an app.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JV_DXB
Level: Powered On

@v-xida-msft @RandyHayes 

Yes, I want to use the "Shared with me" file as the data source. If I go by the solution provided - to copy the file to my root folder, I am guessing I will no longer see any changes made on the actual file which has been shared with me. Is there any other solution?

Super User
Super User

@JV_DXB 

At this point there is not a way to use a "Share with Me" file as a data source in your app.  Some alternatives are:

1) Switch the role - Copy the file into your OneDrive and Share it with the person who has shared it with you.  You would then have the master copy and they would user the file through *their* "Shared with Me".

2) Migrate your file to SharePoint and use that as a DataSource for your App and also as a DataSource for the Excel file.  Depending on the nature of the Excel file and what you are using it for, this could get tricky.  But, it also highlights a point that once you take an Excel file as a data source for your App, you should really leave it be and only access it with the App. General usage and modifications are not an issue, but if you are going to be accessing it to put in formulas or change the structure of the data, then this will cause issues with PowerApps.  As a SharePoint data source, you eliminate this issue, but you also need to restructure your Excel file to "consume" the data from SharePoint - not difficult.

I hope this gives you a little more guidance and is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 78 members 3,372 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: