cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtillinghast
Level: Powered On

Form: No Item to Display / Data Source May Be Invalid

I've created a form and linked it to a data source (Excel table in OneDrive). When I'm editing in a browser window, I see the individual data cards. When I run the app, though, the form just displays "No Item to Display." In addition, in the editing view (so again, with data cards and values that I can enter), if I click the submit button, I see an error message: "There was a problem saving. Your data source may be invalid."

I saw reference elsewhere in the forum to setting the form Item property. I set "Item = First(Period_3)", where Period_3 is the name of the data source table. No change.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanielaH
Level 8

Re: Form: No Item to Display / Data Source May Be Invalid

jtillinghast - I found a solution to this, and figured to post it here in case others have the same problem.

This video shows a very easy solution to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Bd0QFGvAc

Essentially you need to select the form on the sheet, and you will see that when selecting 'Item' the functions bar is blank,  therefore it displays nothing in preview!

• Simply change to: Item = Defaults('list name')
  • 'list name' should refer to whatever SharePoint list you are pulling your data from

Below a screnshot from the video. Making this change resolved this for me! Smiley Happy

Untitled picture.png

11 REPLIES 11
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jtillinghast,

It is recommended to start from the article below:

Understand data forms in Microsoft PowerApps

For a form control to show data, we need to configure the Data Source and the Item property.

Besides, we also need to un-hide the corresponding DataCard for the form to show the proper fields.

13.PNG

Some additional document for your reference:

EditForm and Display form controls in PowerApps

If you have any further questions, please post back.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jtillinghast

Thanks, Michael-- I've been trying to reference both of those pages, but I'm obviously missing something. I've configured DataSource for the form to match the source form in Excel ("Period_3"). As I referenced above, Item is set to =First(Period_3). I've made sure that there are visible records:

Screen_Shot_2017-08-21_at_8_15_11_AM.png

For what it's worth, I edited the display name of the first record to remove the bad formatting, and now it's greyed out-- its visible status is set to "true," and I see it in edit mode, just not in run mode.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

DanielaH
Level 8

Hi jtillinghast,

I am having the exact same problem!

- The articles you provided are definately useful in understanding more about the different data forms, but it does not actually address this particular issue where the data does not display (although there is a valid connection to a data source, the data card is set to visible, etc).

It is difficult to continue working on an app, if I cannot preview it of course... I see there have been over 40 views on this conversation so far, so perhaps others have had a similar issue (and if you figured it out, could someone please share how?).

Thanks so much in advance!! Smiley Wink

Capture.PNG            Capture2.PNG

DanielaH
Level 8

jtillinghast - I found a solution to this, and figured to post it here in case others have the same problem.

This video shows a very easy solution to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Bd0QFGvAc

Essentially you need to select the form on the sheet, and you will see that when selecting 'Item' the functions bar is blank,  therefore it displays nothing in preview!

• 'list name' should refer to whatever SharePoint list you are pulling your data from

Below a screnshot from the video. Making this change resolved this for me! Smiley Happy

Untitled picture.png

TechIY

@DanielaH wrote:

Untitled picture.png

Thanks DanielaH for sharing your solution, it really sorted me out!

viquar

I had the same issue but it resolved after referencing to the given youtube link.  Thanks...

Suep
Level 8

Try going to DisplayMode and make sure it is listed as New.

jamiedgarden1
Level: Power Up

^I came here to write this, try it first as it is the simplest Smiley Very Happy

Monty_Baird

You are a legend.  Worked for me, thanks!

Adding Defaults('DataSource') to the form's Item property made all the difference on my new app.  Oddly, though, I have another PowerApp where the Item property of the form is blank yet it still submits without any trouble.  The mind boggles.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 282 members 3,912 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: