cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Torro27
Level: Power Up

From Access App to Powerapp

With Access Web Apps about to retire, I'm having to find another somewhat simple solution to sharing customer data within my organization.  I liked the ease of setting up the Access Web App but Powerapps seems like a whole other ball game.  Has anyone been successful in migrating their data into the common data service and querying and displaying the data in Powerapps?  Also, I would like to create the app in Tablet format and not Mobile.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From Access App to Powerapp

Hi, @Torro27.

I'm on a roll today and it seems that your post may be nearly buried. (it was on Page 3 when I found it). I haven't used Access Web Apps before but I've been developing in PA for the past few months. Here are my thoughts about PowerApps (PA).

1. Setting up forms in PA can be a hassle if you have some relationships between entities (e.g. Parent-Child, Many-to-Many, etc.) There's a bit of a learning curve in creating forms too. 
  2. PA is advertised as no-code but to do some complex stuff (it doesn't even have to that complex), you would eventually have to do some code. PA code is a lot similar to that of Excel but there are some subtle rules that you have to be aware of.
  3. One huge disadvantage of PA involves delegation
    Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/delegation-overview
    tl;dr Some data-retrieving functions (e.g. aggregate functions like sum) can only work with the first 500 records it sees. If you have a large enough dataset, this might be a problem.
  4. CDS, as far as I've read in the forums (I haven't had experience with it), can be disastrous at times. There have been reports of data loss, unannounced down times, data corruption, etc. Use it at your own peril. (Or it may have improved over the past few weeks, I don't know)
  5. Here's one piece of good news. You can do tablet layouts in PA. (I did all of my organization's apps in tablet layout). Some templates do not have this option but you can start a table layout from scratch. 

I'm tagging some of the support staff here to get their attention. @v-micsh-msft@v-monli-msft -- Help this guy out? Please and thank you.

Wish you the best of luck, dude. PA hasn't been really fun for me but then again, I was here on its early stages. (Well, earlier). Hope you do better. Smiley Very Happy

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: From Access App to Powerapp

Hi @Torro27,

You may start with CDS in PowerApps by following the guide below:

Creating an app from the Common Data Service

Besides, if you are using Azure SQL as the back end, you could connect to it directly under PowerApps.

Connect to SQL Server from PowerApps

Further, for Access migration, please check:

Access Services in SharePoint Roadmap

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 276 members 3,296 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: