cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steven_Ross_Lee
Level: Powered On

Gallery based on Filter not always Selecting an Item

I would like to know if I'm dealing with a bug, or if I am not implementing things correctly.

First off, this App is connected to an Azure SQL database. And all tables have a Primary Key.

In the attached images, I have a Navigation Gallery along the top in green (not the issue). I have a Search Gallery on the left with a text input search box above it. And then, I have an Edit Form to the right of the Search Gallery. The DataSource for both the Search Gallery and Edit Form is the same Member table. The Item property of the Edit Form is set to the Search Gallery's Selected property.

The Search Gallery has its Items property set to Filter('[dbo].[Member]', StartsWith(Pnum, SearchMembers.Text) || StartsWith(LastName, SearchMembers.Text)). So, one can search based on LastName or Pnum. The searching/filtering of a Member in this Search Gallery (approx 5,000 entries) works consistently fine.

The problem is that some of the time, the item in the top of the list gets selected (Good- See image Gallery Select Problem 3.jpg) , and sometime nothing in the list gets selected (Bad- See image Gallery Select Problem 2.jpg).

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Steve

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Gallery based on Filter not always Selecting an Item

From what I see as per your screenshot Gallery Select Problem 2.JPG  that no item is selected in the Gallery. User needs to manually click on the item so that the results get displayed there. Searching alone does not select the item. 

If you refer to in your Gallery Select Problem 3.JPG , there you will see that the selected item has a different template fill and the results are getting displayed.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Steven_Ross_Lee

This is my point though.

In many cases, I don't need to physically select an item in the filtered list. Just by searching, it automatically selects the first in the list and therefore displays the details in the edit form. But, sometimes it does not select anything and therefore displays a blank edit form.

This behaviour seems far too random to me!

Thanks,

Steve

Super User
Super User

@Steven_Ross_Lee 

That's strange! I tried to recreate the issue and every time I am changing the filter text input, it is selecting first item by default. I am guessing that the issue happening is your case might be possible because the filter query is still in process to fetch its data. Can you confirm this once?

Thanks, 
Steven_Ross_Lee

Thanks Yashag,

I don't think the issue is a lag in time, because the search results are returned immediately, and are the correct results. The only issue is that sometimes no item in the list is selected.  For example; I may perform 2 searches and the top item is automatically selected and displyed in the edit form details.  Then, my 3rd search produces the correct filtered list of results, but nothing is selected.  Then, I perform a 4th and 5th search and an item is again automtically selected in the list.  Then on the 6th and 7th searches nothing is selected. And so forth...

I can not observe any sort of definite pattern. It seems quite random as to when it selects, and when it does not.

Thanks,

Steve

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Steven_Ross_Lee ,

Could you show me your settings of the edit form?

I've made a similar test but not met the problem as your description.

Here's my test:

I set my edit form's Items: Gallery1.Selected.

After typing words in the textinput, the edit form will display the first item of the filtered items.

If you choose one in the gallery, the edit form will display that one.66_LI.jpg

662_LI.jpg

But I also notice, if the filtered data is empty(gallery show no items), the edit form will show "No item to display"663.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Steven_Ross_Lee

Hi Phoebe,

My Edit form settings for the "General" form are, Items = SelectGallery.Selected, and DataSource = the same SQL table that is the source for the Select Gallery.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven_Ross_Lee

I did some further testing with a smaller set of data. Instead of 5,000 records in my Member table, I reduced it to 500.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I have no delegation warnings to begin with (whether my source table is 5,000 or 500). And as far as I can see, SQL does provide delegation for a Filter function using "StartsWith", which is what I'm using in my filter.

In my testing with only 500 records, it seems that I can perform more searches in succession before it fails to select the top item in my Gallery. But, at some point it fails. And, as before,  if I keep searching it will succeed again, and fail again.

So, I am still stumped as to whether this is a "bug" of some kind.

Any further help/knowledge wuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 497 members 4,534 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: