cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
reddyapps
Level: Powered On

Help with creating new app

hi there, i am new to power apps. i am trying to create an app for my company. Basically,its inventory tracking app.

we have a source file with all the information about device inventory. Each device in the inventory needs to go thru a  process with certain steps. At each process, we add a 'status' and 'updated date' and 'update notes' and etc by the user. All these updated information needs to be saved to a database table. So we can track all the historical information from that database.  

Is this something we can do with power apps? where shud i start? can someone thow some light? 

do I start with building database tables? or etc..please advice

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Help with creating new app

Hello @reddyapps and welcome! This is a great scenario for a PowerApp and you certainly can accomplish what you have described. As far as where to start, if you don't have the data tables built already (and even if you do) I would start at the data level by relating what data is needed for each part of the inventory tracking process. As in do you need serial numbers, item descriptions, purchase dates, a bin location, stuff like that.

Next, I would sort the data by how it should be organized. You would need a table for the inventory items. Do you want to capture each step of the inventory tracking process? You would probably need a table for this that will relate each item to a step. You may want a reference table of all the steps as well. Do different types of inventory have different steps? Maybe you need a table for the different classes or types of inventory you have that can be related to the inventory table.

Here is part one of a three part blog series about relational data design by @Drrickryp which cover some great info.

After you have the data side tied in to the process and organized in such a way as to create tables housing only the right information and related as needed, then the app building can begin. 

Here is a blog post about building an inventory app for conference swag that might be helpful. It has a link to download a starter app that might be good to reference (truth be told, I didn't download the app but I assume it has what is described in the blog post; the link still works though).

Hopefully that helps get you started a bit. Feel free to comment back or add me to a new post if I can help with any app building questions. And again, welcome to the PowerApps family! Happy to have you on board!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @reddyapps ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create a tracking app using PowerApps?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think PowerApps could achieve your needs. Firstly, you need to create corresponding columns (status, Updated date, update notes, ... etc) within your data source to store the status' value, 'updated date' value, 'update notes' value, .. etc.

Then you could generate an app based on your data source (e.g. a SP List). Within the Edit form, you need to enable the the corresponding columns to display.

More details about generating an app based on a SP list, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/app-from-sharepoint

Within above generated app, it would include three screens -- BrowseGallery screen, Detail Screen and Edit Screen. Within the BrowseGallery screen, it would list all device inventory info from your data source (e.g. a SP list). Then you could click ">" icon within the Gallery to navigate to Detail screen to see the detail info of a specific device. Within the Detail screen, you could click "Edit" icon to navigate to Edit screen, there, you could update the 'status' and 'updated date', 'update notes' ... column value, after that, you could click "Check" icon to submit your modification.

Please check and see if the following video would help you generate an app from your data source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYe_7fpZRM

More details about creating a tracking app using PowerApps, please check the following videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaMAJIYqdNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GGn7QAI8WI

Please consider take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
reddyapps
Level: Powered On

@wyotim @v-xida-msft  thanks for replying...so what im trying to do is..

we get two files everyday one for  'neworders' and another for 'shipped orders'.   we want to store these data into sql tables seperately. we have like 3,4 other tables that we can join to these tables to get additional information. 

We will create a 'orderstatus' table which will have  7 distinct 'status'with 'statusid, status'.  When the order is neworders tables the status will be ' ordered', when in 'shippedorders', the status will be 'shipped'. 

So, from the powerapps,  when we search for one order, it will show the current 'status' along with other information.

Here, we should be able to update 'status' to other value from dropdown( 5 of the 7 distinct values) and should be able to enter some 'notes' in the notes field. If the status is 'ordered'. , status field shud be greyed out. Only when it is 'shipped' we shud allow edit. 

And each time we update 'status' and enter 'notes' we shuld insert that record in a historicaltable.

Can you help with tables design for this....?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 313 members 1,900 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: