cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AlanCampbell
Level: Powered On

How to auto refresh a gallery

Hi all, I'm building up an app for my local volunteer fire brigade, we have created an app so members can indicate if they are turning out to an incident.  The issue we have is that we need the gallerying displaying the sharepoint list to either refresh everytime a new item is added, or auto matically refresh every minute or so.  Whilst crew are getting ready they need to see if additional members are on their way or not, tapping a refresh button isn't terribly pratical for them.

Any throughts on how to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to auto refresh a gallery

If the app is always open and you want to automatically refresh you can use Timer.

Just setup timer and set that it refreshes every 1 minute and after time ends call Refresh(DataSource)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the app is always open and you want to automatically refresh you can use Timer.

Just setup timer and set that it refreshes every 1 minute and after time ends call Refresh(DataSource)

View solution in original post

PhilD
Level 8

@AllenCampbell

How has this worked out for you? I'm building something similar and I'm somewhat worried about a theoretical limit on the number of data requests maxing out.
Super User
Super User

Hey @PhilD,

Currently there is no information about requests timing out.

And I guess you only refresh your (new) data, so technically it isn't a data request, I think.

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

PhilD
Level 8

Thanks Tom

When I mentioned "maxing out" I should have been more clear. I was referring to the overall number of requests, not the time to complete an individual request. My concern is with an app that creates many requests by refreshing on a regular interval. I seem to remember seeing something about the total number of requests having some sort of limit but I can't find any hard documentation. On this thread, I specifically asked about this but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there  but maybe that's because there is no limit, not sure. 

If the app refreshes each minute, and there are an average of 30 users at any given time, there could be over 43K refreshes daily. If each data source is counted separately, than twice that amount. Currently also looking into making sure my lookups are not causing excessive requests that could be done via a collection...

I have things working really well I just don't want to get blindsided by some obscure limit after doing a big roll out as it is fairly mission critical in nature and having the project fail due to a hard limitation like this would be a very bad outcome. 

WillJay
Level: Powered On

Hi @PhilD , how did your resolve this ambiguity in your project? I have a similar issue and can't find much info on how best to scale a timed refresh on my app.... My numbers of users are about half as yours, I'm continuing with the assumption it'll be fine until I can properly load test it.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 363 members 4,576 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: