cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjoonlee_1996
Level: Power Up

How to create a column chart

Hello,

I'm very new to PowerApps and I've searched through the forums, but I couldn't figure it out. Created a column chart by using Collections at first and thought I worked it out, but found out later that Collections disappear upon closing the app. 

I'm trying to make a chart with rates on the y axis and companies on the x axis from an excel online sheet on Sharepoint. What's the best way to go about doing this? or is there a better alternative to using column charts. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to create a column chart

Hi @wjoonlee_1996 ,

Do you want to create a Column Chart based on your Excel table stored in your SP Library?

If you want to create a Column Chart based on your Excel table stored in your SP Library, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently. Currently, within PowerApps, creating a connection to a Excel file stored in a SP Library from an app is not supported.

As an alternative solution, you could consider store your Excel file (which has been formatted as a Table) into your OneDrive folder (or Dropbox etc), and then you could create a conection to this Excel file from your app.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

2.JPG

In addition, if you want to group your Table records by Company column, and show total Rate/hr value for each company within the Column Chart, please consider take a try with the following workaround:3.JPG

Set the Items property of the ColumnChart1 control to following:

AddColumns(
GroupBy(Table1,"Company","GroupData"),
"Rate/hr(Sum)",
Sum(GroupData, 'Rate/hr')
)

More details about adding a connection within an app, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/add-data-connection

More details about the Column Chart control, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-column-line-chart

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @wjoonlee_1996 ,

Do you want to create a Column Chart based on your Excel table stored in your SP Library?

If you want to create a Column Chart based on your Excel table stored in your SP Library, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently. Currently, within PowerApps, creating a connection to a Excel file stored in a SP Library from an app is not supported.

As an alternative solution, you could consider store your Excel file (which has been formatted as a Table) into your OneDrive folder (or Dropbox etc), and then you could create a conection to this Excel file from your app.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:1.JPG

2.JPG

In addition, if you want to group your Table records by Company column, and show total Rate/hr value for each company within the Column Chart, please consider take a try with the following workaround:3.JPG

Set the Items property of the ColumnChart1 control to following:

AddColumns(
GroupBy(Table1,"Company","GroupData"),
"Rate/hr(Sum)",
Sum(GroupData, 'Rate/hr')
)

More details about adding a connection within an app, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/add-data-connection

More details about the Column Chart control, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-column-line-chart

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

wjoonlee_1996
Level: Power Up

Hi Kris,

Thank you so much for your help! Everything worked out. I do have one question regarding the column chart. Is there any way to expand the Company names on the x-axis, so the whole name can be seen? It seems like every time I stretch the chart out, just the columns end of stretching.

Thank you,

Joon

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 388 members 4,537 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: