Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PiebePost
Level: Powered On

Images binded to URL's

Dear community,

I am about to make my first app, which is aimed for internal usage in our factory. The app needs a gallery with images, stored on our server. An URL looks as follows:

\\jb-dc01\JBEnterprise\Ramasoft.Net Documents\Project\dc543b2df07e4b31a269fb75c8e42dff\8f9c99b92a9f47ef97388632c0895266\413f82e209ce410a969700f76ab33857\AssemblyImages\2c5699a280a44a2eb5d6dc2fb7f6b763-int.png

When launching exactly this URL in the explorer, my image simply pops up but the app simply won't show anything. What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: Images binded to URL's

Images from UNC (network) paths do not work in most scenarios, due to permissions on the network shares.The best alternative, if you can do that, would be to host the images in a HTTP server, and access those images using the HTTP protocol.

For example, if you have IIS (Internet Information Services) running on the jb-dc01 computer, you can create a new Application on the default web site (e.g., called "assemblyimages"), point it to the directory containing the images (e.g., "C:\the actualPath\BEnterprise\Ramasoft.Net Documents\Project\dc543b2df07e4b31a269fb75c8e42dff\8f9c99b92a9f47ef97388632c0895266\413f82e209ce410a969700f76ab33857\AssemblyImages") and access your image as "http://jb-dc01/assemblyimages/2c5699a280a44a2eb5d6dc2fb7f6b763-int.png".

20 REPLIES 20
hngdev
Level 8

Does the Image Controller show any kind of errors (look for the exclamation)?

Based on what you mention, I think the problem here is when you launch your Image in the browser, your browser could have saved the server authentication/authorization so that the image can be loaded. Then, you can't launch your image in the PowerApps studio because the studio doesn't have any proof of your server's authentication.

That's just what I think.

PiebePost

Wow hngdev, thank you so much for your fast reply!

I was thinking about the same, so I also tested images directly on my C drive. Unfortunately, this didn't help either. I get no exclamation mark or any kind of warning whatsoever..

hngdev
Level 8

Did you try with a random photo from google image?

e.g:

C:\Users\my_user\Pictures\icon.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Achtung.svg/2000px-Achtung.svg.png

I use the links above for my Image property in the Image controller, they all work.

PiebePost

Yes, tried that too. Internet images showed up perfectly.

hngdev
Level 8

that's weird then.

I'm using version 2.0.450, and it has no problem showing the image.

PiebePost

Well, the image shows up perfectly when placing the URL's directly into the formula bar, either the internet URL and the local URL. Also when I place an internet URL into the data source, there is no problem but as soon as I place a local URL (not even a network URL) into the data source, it just leaves me with a blank imagefield...

hngdev
Level 8

hmm, I am sorry I can't figure it out.

PiebePost

Thanks anyway!

PiebePost

Hm,, tried again and somehow can't get a local URL working too. Maybe I was wrong when saying that I had no problem with a direct local URL?

See my attachement, am I doing something wrong?. BTW: URL is checked and working.

Schermopname (16).png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 520 members 5,690 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: