cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisChong
Level: Powered On

Import from Excel to SP

ImportExcel.pngIs there a way to simply import records directly from Excel into a SP list without copy/paste?

I was using Access Web Apps with many records and then converting to new SP lists, then creating PowerApps apps from those lists.  But, "of curse", (SIC) AWA is practically gone. So, now what?

The copy/paste solution is entirely impractical for large numbers of records.  Other so-called "solutions" requiring no-code/low-code programming for one-time importing seems terribly wasteful of my time.  So, help, please?  It seems simple to a neophyte like me--create a function on the SP action bar to "Import from Excel" and put it beside the "Export to Excel" function.

Thank you all--far more brilliant than I--for your suggestions. I appreciate them and I'm sure others would too.

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

Re: Import from Excel to SP

You can import an Excel list into a new SharePoint list.

1. Open your site in IE (You need IE because this features requires active x)
  2. Go to Sites Contents
  3. Click on New > App
  4. Type in "Import Spreadsheet"
  5. Click on the Import Spreadsheet app

The app will walk you through the steps to import the Excel spreadsheet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
ChrisChong

Thank you very much for responding.  Two points:

1. When I use the method you suggest, I get an error message: "The specified file is not a valid spreadsheet or contains no data to import."  (See pic) The file is a valid Excel file and it has data to be imported. (see pic)
  2. If the suggested method did work, it is used to create a new SP list. But what method can I use to import many records into an already exisiting SP list?

I had tried your method (using IE etc.) on a number of accasions and I became so frustrated that I went back to creating an AWA and then converting that to a SP list.  That door is closing, hence my dilemma and my query.

ErrorImporting.png

ExcelSample.png

Thank you all for any help.

Super User
Super User

I just used this feature a couple of days ago and it worked for me. I made sure by data was in a table and I used that table as my selected data range. This feature only creates a new list. My only suggestion for appending to an existing list would be to see if you can link the list to a regular Access Data and then import the Excel data into Access and upload it to the list that way but I have never tried that before, so I am not sure how that would work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
ChrisChong

I just tried putting the datasheet in a table format.  Same result: It does not recognise the file as valid. You are correct that this method creates a NEW SP list and does not help in appending Excel records into an existing SP list.

I do not know how to do as you suggest:  "link the list to a regular Access Data and then import the Excel data into Access and upload it to the list that way..."  I am intrigued by what you suggest is possible.

Why could MS not simply provide a mechanism to import or append records from Excel to a SP list. Seems like it would solve so many issues in jumpstarting an SP list.

leyburn19
Level 10

I get this randomly.  It is to do with teh security settings in IE.  I adjust them down and get the import to work.  I think my company resets these tye of thing in te background.  Go Internet Options - sucurity Tab and have a play.  also suggest teh data in teh spreadsheet be made into a table.  Makes it easier for the next import step

ChrisChong

Thank you. Reducing IE's security solved that problem of creating a new SP list from Excel.  I appreciate you pointing that out.

Now, any suggestion for the second problem?  How to append or add or import Excel records into an existing SP list.

leyburn19
Level 10

No way that I have found.  All I do is copy and paste.  you can do 100 rows at a time.  But I have also found that it depends which PC I am.  I can copy and paste on some and some I can't.   do not know why yet, but I bet it sits with a similar issue to teh import

ChrisChong

Thank you for your ideas.  Copy/Paste worx as you say...however, it is entirely impractical when I have 2500 records to import.

IDEA: The real solution is for MS to create a button on the SP action bar that says: "Import from Excel" and place it next to the the button: "Export to Excel".  Don't you think?

ImportExcel.png

leyburn19
Level 10

Something should be there.  Every Data source I have used has an apprend or import cabaility,  so not sure why it does not exits in SharePoint

That said I am realy thankful for the move to SharePoint and office 365 with PowerApps as for the first time IT cannot get in the way of innovation!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 474 members 4,680 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: