Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
IceRayn5
Level: Powered On

Is This "Defaults" Question Possible?

Hello everyone...

I understand how to create defaults, and how to create defaults based on other values, but is it possible for a user to create/set their own defaults?

Here's a simplified example of what I mean...

Let's pretend that the background color of my app is red.  I have a dropdown box of all potential users of my app.  The first time any user logs in, the screen will be red.  But there is another dropdown box asking what color you prefer your screen to be.  Jack chooses blue.  Jill chooses green.

I would like to know if there's a way they can save these as presets.  I understand that when they first log into the app (before they choose their name from the dropdown) the screen will be red.  But I would like the screen to turn to their chosen color upon choosing their name.  I also want them to be able to choose their own inside the app (or even change it later if needed) instead of pre-programming the colors before hand.

Please understand that the example I gave is COMPLETELY over-simplified for what I am trying to do so just saying that it isn't a big deal to leave "color" as a dropdown choice is not really an option.  There are reasons that I need the users to be able to set their own defaults within the app and have it available to them the next time they use the app.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Is This "Defaults" Question Possible?

I would Patch/Read the data from a SharePoint list or other data source (and have done so for one or two Apps),

So you could patch their email address (UserEmail), the color value "#AABBCC", and the setting name "screenBackground", then when the App loads, read from that list and create a local collection filtering out everything except items where UserEmail=User().Email and then apply those values to the items, whose properties are set to variables that you then set based on the items in that collection.

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
IceRayn5
Level: Powered On

Re: Is This "Defaults" Question Possible?

I am anxious to try this solution.  Like I said in my original post, I over-simplified things, but the premise still remains the same.  I think the concept seems easy enough.  I will reply when I get a chance to test this out.

Much thanks to you for offereing a potential solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 116 members 3,849 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: