Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathorto
Level: Powered On

License question

Hello
I need some understanding on a particular license

Our technicians have an F1 license which I know does not allow custom connections or write back capability. However included in our package we have roughly 10k unused licenses that have the title “powerapps and logic flows”

Does anyone know what comes with that license? I have read and re read the license documentation and can’t seem to find information on this one in particular.

I need to be able to write data back to on prim SQL server and I am hoping that this license gives that capability. Also hoping to be able to call XMLA Endpoint in PBI premium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: License question

F1 licenses include PowerApps and Flow licenses.  The special limitation on those licenses is the following:

• PowerApps is limited to consumption only (no publishing or sharing).
  • Flow is limited to consumption only and runs are limited to 750 per user per month.

AS described in this official article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/office-365-platform-service-descripti...

Other normal restrictions apply to premium services like custom connectors and on-premises gateways. But there is no limitation on read/write access to data.  F1 license users can't create or share apps, but they can run apps and use their full functionality.

The problem in your scenario is that the SQL server is on-premises.  Although the SQL connector is standard and available for use by F1 licensed users, you will need an on-premises gateway to access the SQL server.  Gateways are an premium feature and require either a P1 or P2 license.  The 10,000 existing licenses that you have won't cover this functionality either, since they are undoubtedly standard licenses.  

However, an Azure based SQL server can be accessed without a gateway.  So if the database in question where moved to Azure then the F1 users could access it with their existing F1 license. The only thing that would be needed would be a regular licensed user to create and share the app with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mathorto 

I think the entry you're seeing there refers to the number of Flow runs.

With Office 365 (F1), you're entitiled to 2k Flow runs per license as shown in link below. Flow runs are aggregated per organisation so with 5 F1 license, that would account for 10k license.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

I'm certain that the entry you see doesn't give you access to on-premises SQL server, or custom connectors. For that, you'll need either a P1 or P2 license.

It's also worth noting that all of this changes in October. From that point, you'll need to license on a per user or per app basis to SQL and custom connectors, and there are more details in this blog post.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-licensing-options-for-powerapps-and-flow/

Highlighted
Mathorto
Level: Powered On

I think I got ya. So Would I be able to connect to the XMLA endpoints from power bi to display metrics since Azure SQL data warehouse is standard? Or would I have to pull that data into SQL and then call it from there which would not work because of our licenses?

Sry still a little unclear on that one.
Super User
Super User

F1 licenses include PowerApps and Flow licenses.  The special limitation on those licenses is the following:

• PowerApps is limited to consumption only (no publishing or sharing).
  • Flow is limited to consumption only and runs are limited to 750 per user per month.

AS described in this official article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/office-365-platform-service-descripti...

Other normal restrictions apply to premium services like custom connectors and on-premises gateways. But there is no limitation on read/write access to data.  F1 license users can't create or share apps, but they can run apps and use their full functionality.

The problem in your scenario is that the SQL server is on-premises.  Although the SQL connector is standard and available for use by F1 licensed users, you will need an on-premises gateway to access the SQL server.  Gateways are an premium feature and require either a P1 or P2 license.  The 10,000 existing licenses that you have won't cover this functionality either, since they are undoubtedly standard licenses.  

However, an Azure based SQL server can be accessed without a gateway.  So if the database in question where moved to Azure then the F1 users could access it with their existing F1 license. The only thing that would be needed would be a regular licensed user to create and share the app with them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 211 members 4,488 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: