cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Impower
Level: Powered On

Re: Listing Appended Changes from Sharepoint List on PowerApps

@systemcrash it would be interesting to see your solution as well and much appreciated a tutorial. 

ajbruno

@systemcrash I would also appreciate a tutorial as I don't need approvals for my solution so if I can keep it all within PowerApps that would be fabulous. Thank you in advance!

zeippu

Hi,

I'm also excited to see your solution, @systemcrash Smiley Happy I'm quite new to PowerApps & Flow as well, so hoping to learn more here. If we cannot get the append changes type of comment box to work, we probably need to get rid of PowerApps and go back to basic sharepoint forms...

Super User
Super User

@zeippu, I definitely feel your frustration. Despite the struggles with Powerapps, there are some very nice benefits. Its the only system I have ever seen that connects so many different sources, and present them in a format that can be done on a PC, phone, or basically any device. Dont bail on it too quickly. The forums are the best help, so post for as many questions as you need, and I bet you will resolved almost all of your issues. Regards.
systemcrash

Sorry everyone, I was on vacation... but you know it's better later than never. I'll try to ELI5 this as much as I can. Our objective is to get something similar to an SPL field with append changes on. This involve two things : 1- NOT using a SPL field with append changes turned on 2- consider to discard your previous entries with SPL field with append changes turned on. How do you do it? Before you submit your form you need to store some information in variables. UpdateContext({StringToLog: PowerappsNewEntry.Text}); UpdateContext({StringOldLog: PowerappsHistotic.Text}); SubmitForm(EditForm1); After you submited your form, you need to do some manipulation for to store the new entry in your SPL with patch function. If( !IsBlank(StringOldLog), Patch( YourSPLName, EditForm1.LastSubmit, {AppendChangesString: User().FullName & "@" & Now() & " : " & StringToLog & Char(13) & StringOldLog & " "} ), Patch( YourSPLName, EditForm1.LastSubmit, {AppendChangesString: User().FullName & "@" & Now() & " : " & StringToLog & Char(13) & " "} ) ); Here's the variable breakdown : StringToLog = variable that store the new entry. In this case, it's a text box I named PowerappsNewEntry, where the user will input a text. StringOldLog = variable that store the previous entry. In this case, it's a text box I named PowerappsHistotic which contain previous update. The info come from SPL. Feel free to ask any question.
systemcrash

Good god... what happen to my formating Smiley Sad I'll try to repost later... maybe it's chrome
Super User
Super User

Something weird is happeining in Chrome.  I cant even see the forum screen any more.  Plus, the toolbar does not come up.

Impower

Working for me in Chrome. Have you tried deleting history and cache yet? Sometimes the cache is wierd for me in Chrome even after multiple page refreshes with PowerApps but that is another topic. I have to either use another browser or delete history and cache to restore to latest version of PowerApps. 

Highlighted
systemcrash

This is the 3rd time I'm writing my proposed solution inspired by @martinav.  first time the forum RTE messed up the formating really hard.  2nd time I completed my message but Edge gave me an error related to cookies.... so I'm writing this on good old IE.

I'll try to ELI5 this as much as I can.

Our objective is to get something similar to an SPL field with append changes on  to follow logs and change on a string frield from an SharePoint List (SPL).

This involve two things :
1- Using a SPL string field with append changes turned OFF
2- Consider to discard your previous entries with SPL field with append changes

How do you do it?

Before you submit your form you need to store some information in variables.
UpdateContext({StringToLog: PowerappsNewEntry.Text});

UpdateContext({StringOldLog: PowerappsHistotic.Text});

SubmitForm(EditForm1);

After you submited your form, you need to do some manipulation  to store the new entry in your SPL with patch function.

If(
    !IsBlank(StringOldLog),
    Patch(
        YourSPLName,
        EditForm1.LastSubmit,
        {AppendChangesString: User().FullName & "@" & Now() & " : " & StringToLog & Char(13) & StringOldLog & " "}
    ),
    Patch(
        YourSPLName,
        EditForm1.LastSubmit,
        {AppendChangesString: User().FullName & "@" & Now() & " : " & StringToLog & Char(13) & " "}
    )
);

Here's the variable breakdown :
StringToLog = variable that store the new entry. In this case, it's a text box I named PowerappsNewEntry, where the user will input a text.
StringOldLog = variable that store the previous entry. In this case, it's a text box I named PowerappsHistotic which contain previous update. The info come from SPL.
EditForm1 = the form that contain your inputbox and it's connected to your SPL.

Feel free to ask any questions, comments or any recommendation to make the solution better. 😉

Sorry if my english sounds a bit off... I'm french canadian.

Super User
Super User

Yea, whats going on with the interface here?  Chrome give me black screen and nonesence, and edge doesnt even show me the formatting toolbar.  Also, no more pasting the clipboard into the photo editor.  That makes it a p.i.t.a. to post photos.  I'll post a new message on this.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Whats-happeining-to-the-forum-editor/m-p/2014...

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 358 members 4,556 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: