cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GiovanniMugno
Level: Powered On

Loggin screen connected to an excel table

I have this problem: I have a login screen with two text entrys, "UserEntry" and "PasswordEntry", and i want to make the verification via an excel table in the app, the table it's named "Users" and it has the columns "UserName" and "Password", i need to compare if the UserEntry.Text is equal to one of the UserName registered, and if the Password.Text matchs the corresponding UserName Password column, if it's correct, it will send you to another screen, but if the username, and/or the password are wrong, then a invisible label with an error text will turn visible.

It's any form to do this? if not, how can i make it throught another way like making a collection? (and not making an infinite If inside the button with all the passwords and usernames).

And thank you in advanced for your responses!.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Loggin screen connected to an excel table

Hi @GiovanniMugno 

Here's a similar thread on this issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/where-validate-username-and-password/td-p/271...

To implement this, you can add the following formula to your Login button.

If(CountRows(Filter(Users,And(UserEntry.Text = UserName,PasswordEntry.Text = Password))) = 1, 
   Navigate(TheScreenThatYouWantToNavigateToOnSuccess), 
   Notify("Incorrect Login Details",NotificationType.Error)
)

As a sidenote, I really recommend against the idea of storing usernames and passwords in Excel, or any other data source.

In order for this technique to work, all users will require access to the underlying Excel spreadsheet. Therefore, any user can circumvent the security by directly opening the spreadsheet and looking up the usernames/passwords. A far better way to secure your app is to use the built in sharing functionality and to only share your apps with users that require access to your app.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @GiovanniMugno 

Here's a similar thread on this issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/where-validate-username-and-password/td-p/271...

To implement this, you can add the following formula to your Login button.

If(CountRows(Filter(Users,And(UserEntry.Text = UserName,PasswordEntry.Text = Password))) = 1, 
   Navigate(TheScreenThatYouWantToNavigateToOnSuccess), 
   Notify("Incorrect Login Details",NotificationType.Error)
)

As a sidenote, I really recommend against the idea of storing usernames and passwords in Excel, or any other data source.

In order for this technique to work, all users will require access to the underlying Excel spreadsheet. Therefore, any user can circumvent the security by directly opening the spreadsheet and looking up the usernames/passwords. A far better way to secure your app is to use the built in sharing functionality and to only share your apps with users that require access to your app.

View solution in original post

GiovanniMugno

Wow, thank you! that solved the problem for my login button Smiley Happy the thing is, is not going to be a public app, it's going to be a private app with 2 types of users, admins and interns, so i needed the login for put the difference between those two, if putting the excel information in the app is not that secure, what will you recommend? i have all the information of the app (the login and the inventory info) in Excel tables, all linked throught an account of Onedrive.

Super User
Super User

Hi @GiovanniMugno 

Sorry for the delay in responding. Adding this type of role managment on apps based on Excel/OneDrive is difficult because of this issue.

The most secure workaround would be to create 2 apps - one for users, and the other for admins/interns. You would then share the admin app with only the admin users. If you have any data that only admins can access, you can store this in a different Excel spreadsheet and configure your Onedrive settings so that only admin users can access the spreadsheet.

GiovanniMugno

Well, thank you for the tips, it will become very handy in the future, you helped me a lot!

@timl wrote:

Hi @GiovanniMugno 

Sorry for the delay in responding. Adding this type of role managment on apps based on Excel/OneDrive is difficult because of this issue.

The most secure workaround would be to create 2 apps - one for users, and the other for admins/interns. You would then share the admin app with only the admin users. If you have any data that only admins can access, you can store this in a different Excel spreadsheet and configure your Onedrive settings so that only admin users can access the spreadsheet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 3,570 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: