cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr-dang
Level 10

Re: Odd behavior using First & Filter together - getting *second* record not first unless wait l

@Drrickryp, thanks for walking through some things Phil could try. 

@PhilD, I am thinking the test to run in this case is to see the values of varCurrentEventClass and varTask.ID.

• How are the variables defined?
  • Where are the variables defined? What controls, what properties?

Insert labels on the screen to show the values of those variables. Interact with your app and confirm when they should change and identify when they do not.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
PhilD
Level 8

Re: Odd behavior using First & Filter together - getting *second* record not first unless wait l

Good morning! That's exactly what I did actually. Keep in mind that I also at one point replaced all the variables with the hard-coded values they represented, and the results were the same. Additionally, once I directly copied into a new empty shell of a app, everything worked as expected. No other changes were made to the new app before testing. that's what really made this so unbelievable was sitting there watching my test screen with the various values not updating when I know they should have.

I'm wondering if somehow design changes I made along the way could have caused this. For example originally I had used some SharePoint lookup columns until I determine that patching them was problematic when values collided.
PhilD
Level 8

Also thanks to @Drrickryp for this little nugget.

While the code below didn't work in my original app (for reasons still unknown) it works fine in the new one (as does everything else I was doing), this is more graceful and efficient way than returning a sorted set, filtering it and then taking the first one. Thanks for suggesting a more simple way! 

//find last qualifying record by looking up the first one in a sorted, filtered set
    Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEvent,
        LookUp(Sort(Events,ID, Descending),               
            EventClass = varCurrentEventClass && TaskID = varTask.ID
        )
    );
PhilD
Level 8

Apps are reverting back to their previous unreliable state. About half the time the formula below again ignores the latest entry and returns the second latest, regardless of refreshing before, after or both... This is happening even when the lastest and second latest entry are separated by several minutes.

//find last qualifying record by looking up the first one in a sorted, filtered set
    Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEvent,
        )
    );
PhilD
Level 8

At this point I'm giving up on what should be one of the more simple (but extremely important) aspects of my app, recording the time from one event to another, because a few lines of code cannot be relied on to accurately return the last record in a sorted set with SharePoint as the datasource. After all this, the same behavior persists.

Just wanted to let others know. I have already invested countless hours in reproducing and documenting this behavior and ultimately recreated the apps from scratch  which seemed to provide a fix for a while (although the reason this fixed my problem was also never explained). I simply have no more time to invest on this as we need to have something usable in place.

Obviously this is an extreme disappointment and will certainly make us think twice before using PowerApps again for anything this substantial.

Microsoft Employee

Hi @PhilD,

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing any trouble, let alone this much!

This sounds like it could be a bug, in which case we would love to fix it. 
It sounds to me, like I believe it seems to you, that the Refresh() function might not be working correctly and the Set() function might be getting executed for the Refresh() actually completes. Perhaps this is an oversimplification, though.

In any case, would you mind trying to but the Set() function in a separate button so that you can trigger it manually? So do everything normally and then, after the refresh, wait about a minute. Then click the button which has the Set() function. Does it work reliably then?

Clearly this wouldn't be a solution even if it does work, but it might go a long way to helping us understand the problem in the hopes of fixing the bug.

Also, if you wouldn't mind getting fresh session Id of a session where the issue repros, that could be helpful, as well.

- Paul C.
Software Engineer on PowerApps
PhilD
Level 8

Thanks @Paul_C

Your assessment is spot on with the behavior I'm witnessing. I did some tests just now and tried to summarize what I'm seeing and the steps I took. I hope this helps. 

Session ID 

Session ID: e4116311-e996-475d-a7a1-72d3a278ea71
PowerApps 3.18111.15

Testing and results

Code indicated in blue is supplied at bottom of post 

• Run Full code - this code first gets the latest qualifying record and updates it before writing a brand new record.  All subsequent runs, the lookup does not "see" the latest record that was added, even after waiting several minutes between runs. 
  • Run Button 1 > then wait > then run Button 2 - the lookup still does not "see" the latest record that was added. If however I run Button 2 again (without running Button 1, it returns the correct result every time). This appears to be the "smoking gun" but not sure what it means.
  • Add item meeting criteria directly to SP list (Events) > then run Button 2 - the lookup still does not "see" the latest record that was added. If however I run Button 2 again (without running Button 1, it returns the correct result every time).  This is the same result as the test above.

Actual code used in test

Full code - all operations together (note highlighted block)

Set(varStartOperationTime,Now()); 

//put code below to test
//**********************************************

//Set(varTask,LookUp(Tasks,ID=Value(TextInput_varOperation1.Text))); //set TaskID var manually

Refresh(Tasks);
    Set(varTask,GalleryCurrentUserTasks.Selected); //set TaskID var the same as in prod

//SET EVENT STATUS MINUTES VARIABLES***************************************************************************
    //New
    //set the event class of the current event so we know which type to update later with the minutes in this status. choices are 'Employee' or 'Task' 

Set(varCurrentEventClass,"Task"); // ** update to match current event class **

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEvent,
        )
    ); 

//END EVENT SET STATUS MINUTES VARIABLES***************************************************************************

// catch errors and record to a table
    If(!IsEmpty(Errors(Events).Record),  
        Patch(
        Errors, //don't change
        {ID: Blank()}, //don't change
        {Title: "Events table error"},
        {Error: First(Errors(Events)).Error}, //don't change
        {Column: First(Errors(Events)).Column}, //don't change
        {Message: First(Errors(Events)).Message}, //don't change
        {Record: First(Errors(Events)).Record.ID}, //don't change
        {ErrorDate:Now()}, //don't change
		{App:varThisAppName}, //don't change
        {Comments:"Writing event status minutes during test operation 1"}  // ** update this to indicate current context of error **
        );
        Revert(Events)
    );

//WRITE PREVIOUS EVENT STATUS MINUTES ***************************************************************************
    //set the event's time to use in the calculation
    Set(varPreviousEventTime,varPreviousEvent.Time);

// calculated minutes between previous time & now
    Set(varPreviousEventStatusMinutes,DateDiff(varPreviousEventTime,Now(),Minutes));

//now write calculated number of minutes to previous event row determined earlier
    //Refresh(Events);
    Patch(
    Events,
    varPreviousEvent,
    {StatusMinutes:varPreviousEventStatusMinutes}
    );

//END WRITE PREVIOUS EVENT STATUS MINUTES ***************************************************************************

If(CheckboxOperation1.Value=true, //allows for testing code with and without writing a new event more easily
//WRITE NEW EVENT ***************************************************************************
    //write timestamped event for **current** update
        //Refresh(Events);
        Patch(
        Events,
        {ID: Blank()}, // faster than using "Defaults" as only one call is needed
            {Title: varThisAppName & " New Test Event Operation 1"},
            {EventClass:varCurrentEventClass}, // set earlier, no need to change
            {EventType:"New Event Test operation 1"}, // ** update this to indicate current context **
            {TaskID:varTask.ID}, // auto number row ID from SharePoint list
            {TaskStatus:"New Event Test Assigned"},    
            {EmpStatus:"New Event Test Assigned"},     
            {Time:Now()}
        );

If(!IsEmpty(Errors(Events)), //don't change
        Patch(
        Errors, //don't change
        {Title: "Events Error"}, //don't change
        {Comments:"Writing new event during test operation 1"} // ** update this to indicate current context **
        );
        Revert(Events) //don't change
    )

//END WRITE NEW EVENT ***************************************************************************

); 

//put code above to test
Set(varEndOperationTime,Now()); //don't change this
Set(varOperationSeconds,DateDiff(varStartOperationTime,varEndOperationTime,Milliseconds))//don't change this

Button 1 (highlighted code removed)

Thanks @Paul_C

Your assessment is spot on with the behavior I'm witnessing. The difficult thing is getting it to reliably repeat in order to troubleshoot. I'm fairly certain that I already performed the operations in separate operations as you suggested and it proved to fix the issue but I am going to perform the test again. I will provide an update and session info if I can reproduce.

Session ID of app after recreating the issue at 11/20/2008 10:14 am EST

Session ID: e4116311-e996-475d-a7a1-72d3a278ea71
PowerApps 3.18111.15

Full code - all operations together

Set(varStartOperationTime,Now()); 

//put code below to test

//Set(varTask,LookUp(Tasks,ID=Value(TextInput_varOperation1.Text))); //set TaskID var manually

Refresh(Tasks);
    Set(varTask,GalleryCurrentUserTasks.Selected); //set TaskID var the same as in prod

//SET EVENT STATUS MINUTES VARIABLES***************************************************************************
    //New
    //set the event class of the current event so we know which type to update later with the minutes in this status. choices are 'Employee' or 'Task' 

Set(varCurrentEventClass,"Task"); // ** update to match current event class **

//END EVENT SET STATUS MINUTES VARIABLES***************************************************************************

If(!IsEmpty(Errors(Events).Record),  
        Patch(
        Errors, //don't change
        {Title: "Events table error"},
        {Comments:"Writing event status minutes during test operation 1"}  // ** update this to indicate current context of error **
        );
        Revert(Events)
    );

//WRITE PREVIOUS EVENT STATUS MINUTES ***************************************************************************
    //set the event's time to use in the calculation
    Set(varPreviousEventTime,varPreviousEvent.Time);

// calculated minutes between previous time & now
    Set(varPreviousEventStatusMinutes,DateDiff(varPreviousEventTime,Now(),Minutes));

//now write calculated number of minutes to previous event row determined earlier
    //Refresh(Events);
    Patch(
    Events,
    varPreviousEvent,
    {StatusMinutes:varPreviousEventStatusMinutes}
    );

//END WRITE PREVIOUS EVENT STATUS MINUTES ***************************************************************************

If(CheckboxOperation1.Value=true, //allows for testing code with and without writing a new event more easily
//WRITE NEW EVENT ***************************************************************************
    //write timestamped event for **current** update
        //Refresh(Events);
        Patch(
        Events,
        {ID: Blank()}, // faster than using "Defaults" as only one call is needed
            {Title: varThisAppName & " New Test Event Operation 1"},
            {EventClass:varCurrentEventClass}, // set earlier, no need to change
            {EventType:"New Event Test operation 1"}, // ** update this to indicate current context **
            {TaskID:varTask.ID}, // auto number row ID from SharePoint list
            {TaskStatus:"New Event Test Assigned"},    
            {EmpStatus:"New Event Test Assigned"},     
            {Time:Now()}
        );

If(!IsEmpty(Errors(Events)), //don't change
        Patch(
        Errors, //don't change
        {Title: "Events Error"}, //don't change
        {Comments:"Writing new event during test operation 1"} // ** update this to indicate current context **
        );
        Revert(Events) //don't change
    )

//END WRITE NEW EVENT ***************************************************************************

); 

//put code above to test
Set(varEndOperationTime,Now()); //don't change this
Set(varOperationSeconds,DateDiff(varStartOperationTime,varEndOperationTime,Milliseconds))//don't change this

Button 2 (removed highlighted code run in separate operation)

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEvent,
        )
    ); 

Microsoft Employee

Thanks @PhilD!

Two interesting things to try separately:

A) Try repeating the Refresh command multiple times. E.g.:

Button 2 

Refresh(Events);
Refresh(Events); Set(varPreviousEvent, LookUp(Sort(Events,ID, Descending), EventClass = varCurrentEventClass && TaskID = varTask.ID ) );

(maybe even try 3 or 4 times, just to see if it behaves differently) 

B) What I originally meant was to put the Refresh and the Set in different buttons, for instance:

Button 2 

Refresh(Events);

<Long manual delay after clicking Button2 but before clicking Button3>

Button 3 

Set(varPreviousEvent,
        )
    ); 

These two things will help test if the problem is the next line of code running before Refresh() finishes (B)) or if it's some weird issue where refresh needs to happen twice (A)).

- Paul C.
PhilD
Level 8

Thank you @Paul_C... I have answers to your questions and some additional info that I think will be helpful.

Answer to your questions

A) I had tried this in my previous testing but did it again. This has no affect, even if the refresh line is repeated many times.

B) I separated the operations as you suggested and it still behaved the same.

New info/results

I think I have found a "smoking gun". Repeating the refresh either in or outside the operation has no affect but repeating the entire lookup over makes a difference. 

I built this with four separate variables, in four separate lookups, that were repeated one after the other in the same operation with the refresh happening at different places as noted in the steps below.

1. With a refresh occurring before all four lookups - first pass failed, subsequent passes successful.
  2. Same but with no refresh on any of the lookups - all passes failed.
  3. Same but with refresh only on fourth pass of the lookup - all passes failed.
  4. Same but with refresh only on first pass of the lookup - all passes failed.
  5. Same but with refresh only on firstfourth pass of the lookup - all passes failed.
  6. With a refresh occurring before all four lookups (code shown below in code window) - first pass failed, subsequent passes successful (same as #1 repeated to ensure nothing had changed).
  7. Same but with refresh only on first & second  pass of the lookup - first pass failed, subsequent passes successful.
  8. Same but with refresh only on first & third pass of the lookup - all passes failed.
  9. Same but with refresh only on first, second & fourth pass of the lookup - first pass failed, subsequent passes successful.
  • Separately refreshing between any of these did not change the results above.
  • Waiting for a period of time did affect things... for example, for # 7 above if I waited around 7 minutes from the last test, all passes were successful (even the first one)!

I was very careful to record these results accurately. It does appear that in addition to the sequence of the code, that the time in between execution is playing a role as well making this even more difficult to troubleshoot in actual use.

Bottom line, a lookup should find the last record without having to wait 7-10 minutes. Unless the lookup was executed literally at the exact moment the record was added (before the write was complete) it should be found, similar to the way a gallery can display it moments after it is added.

In any event, I hope this is helpful and looking forward to hearing from you.

Code

Relevant part of "Operation 1" button code used for the steps above. 

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEventFirstPass,
        )
    );

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEventSecondPass,
        )
    );

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEventThirdPass,
        )
    );

Refresh(Events);
    Set(varPreviousEventFourthPass,
        )
    );

Example

This shows step 1 results from above

LookupNotFindingLastRecord.jpg

Session info

Session ID: 09994b95-6acb-4207-a42b-3101d494e4d4
PowerApps 3.18111.15
Microsoft Employee

Thank you, @PhilD!

The behavior is strange and hard to reproduce, which makes it hard for us to investigate the issue. You've provided a ton of information for us though, thank you once again! I'm going to let the area experts for this part of the product investigate with the information you've genrously provided.

- Paul C.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 185 members 4,282 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: