cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerApps Staff mabolan
PowerApps Staff

Re: Parent/Child New Form question/issue

I verified that @ExtJac's solution works. He correctly found out that the lookup field is supposed to be sent over as a record while also defining the data type it is using...

'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"

if you want to make sure that PowerApps continues to show the correct value within your PowerApp, you can set the dropdown values like so...

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 4.59.56 PM.png

The PowerApps team is currently working on making relationships and lookups easier for CDS. As we refine the experience there, we hope to do the same for SharePoint and SQL. Until then, I'll work with the documentation team to come up with an walkthrough for this very common scenario.

ExtJac
Level: Powered On

The new issue i found now is that the new records are not being listed on the Task list...even using the refresh button. However, if i go to the sharepoint list i can see the record was created with a parent Id .

By the way..I am javierC...the one that started this post but for some reason i cant login so I am using extjac.

PowerApps Staff mabolan
PowerApps Staff

Good to know you're the same person Smiley Happy

I ran into the same refresh issue when I was replicating the initial issue. The solution is to make sure the refresh button is refreshing the correct data source. You'll want the OnSelect property of the refresh button to be the following:

Refresh(Parent);Refresh(Child)

I also opted to refresh the child data sources as soon as the form is submitted by changing the OnSelect property of the submit button to the following:

SubmitForm(ChildForm);Refresh(Child);Navigate(ParentScreen,None)
CW

Great stuff. It seems the lookup field is problematic on all platforms even its native SharePoint. Once you get the syntax it can be pretty powerful manipulation of a useful control.

Funny the refresh was mentioned as I was wondering about implementing it but never saw it referenced in any of the MS examples so just forgot about it. I figured it was being handled internally and invoking it again may be a needless or repetitve call.

Cheers.

CW

CW

Update. I have a meeting scheduled with an MS support engineer this week and hope to get to the bottom of this and will mention all the ideas everyone in this forum have contributed.

CW

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 300 members 4,187 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: