cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gillette
Level: Powered On

Re: Pen Input Tool - 'Scratches' rather then writes on mobile now - new bug?

I just checked out PA apps that had this problem and the update solved it!

Thank you MSPA Team!

JsyJulez
Level: Power Up

The issue has been fixed for the browser, but we are having issues with the PowerApp client on Surface and Windows 10 touchscreens where the pen works the first time, but the second time a user tries to draw, the pen doesn’t work. Try it a third time and it works, then a forth time and it doesn’t, and so on.

It’s like the pen looses focus after it has been used to draw, then needs an extra tap on the screen to refocus before it can be used to draw again.

As a pen is raised a number of times for a signature (dotting i’s and crossing t’s) this is causing frustration with users and is again causing our client to loose faith in the platform.

Donwong

I have just got a few surface go for a powerapps project and hit his signature problem. Any solution?
The signature control works fine on ipad and android, can't believe Microsoft surface will have this problem.
JsyJulez
Level: Power Up

Sadly not. We’ve since tested it with a Surface Pen, and while it is better than a capacitive pen / finger - it is still unusable from a customer perspective.

The intriguing thing is that the browser works perfectly with any finger/stylus after the ‘scratching’ bug was resolved.

We’re in the process of developing a custom UWP application with a web viewer control which loads the app via a URL. This is so it can be used in assigned access / kiosk mode.

Microsoft Support have said it is a bug, but have no date for fix.
Donwong

It doesn't work on Surface Go. Customer cannot write signature at all. 

Donwong

I should have it refunded asap. It only creates frustration from customers.
Donwong

jkablaest

Hi emmac,

There still seems to be a problem with the pen input when using the "Powerapps for windows" client.

Problem being that when you are using a touch screen to write the signature, then you need to "select" (with a quick tap) the pen input field before you can draw. And in case you lift the "pen" (e.g. your finger) from the screen, then you need to "select" once again before you can draw more.

It means that if you want to put a signature and your name is in two words, then you need to do:

1. Tap the field

2. Draw first name

3. Tap the field

4. Draw second name

In case you prefer to lift the pen between all letters in your signature, then you need to re-select for every letter.

Is there a fix for this situation? It is quite far from ideal.

jkablaest

@emmac wrote:

Hey all - The fix for the pen input control should now be seen worldwide. If there are still issues, please let me know. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Hi emmac,

There still seems to be a problem with the pen input when using the "Powerapps for windows" client.

Problem being that when you are using a touch screen to write the signature, then you need to "select" (with a quick tap) the pen input field before you can draw. And in case you lift the "pen" (e.g. your finger) from the screen, then you need to "select" once again before you can draw more.

It means that if you want to put a signature and your name is in two words, then you need to do:

1. Tap the field

2. Draw first name

3. Tap the field

4. Draw second name

In case you prefer to lift the pen between all letters in your signature, then you need to re-select for every letter.

Is there a fix for this situation? It is quite far from ideal.

wsangster

I am also experiencing the same issues with tablets running Windows 10 and the Powerapps client. When using the PenInput you need to touch the screen to capture focus then touch and sign without lifting the pen. When you lift the pen you need to touch the screen to capture focus and then touch again and continue signing. 

If I use the Web version of PowerApps there are no problems with the PenInput. Also I have loaded an Android emulator and used the APP inside that without any issues in signing. 

I cannot just use the Web version as my technicians are offline occasionaly and won't have access to the Web.

The android emulater adds extra steps to start using and costs. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 302 members 1,604 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: