Is this just happening to one app or all?
Also in further testing this is happening in different browsers (Internet Explorer, Edge, FireFox, Chrome). I've tried adding https://*.powerapps.com to trusted sites, turning off pop-up blocker, clear cookies/cache/history (everything with ccleaner). All of my browers are up-to-date, and I am running into the same issues. Is there any update on this issue? I'm working on an app that we are planning on using with our student workers to have them log in and out of their shifts so I can't deploy this until I get this issue figured out.
Just to add to this, we are experiencing the same issue. This seems to happen randomly on different browsers, but the only consistent variable we have determined is that they are on apps that include connections to OneDrive excel files. However, we only have a sample size of 6 so this could be a coincidence.
Just because there has been no reply on this post, it looks like Microsoft has corrected this issue. It appears to have been caused by a bug in the web client.
Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.
Continue your learning in our online communities.
Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020
Coming to a city near you
Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!
Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round