cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahonebn
Level: Powered On

PowerApps - Cascading Drop Downs (Edit Mode)

I have created a SharePoint Custom Form using PowerApps. I am using Cascading Drop Downs which seem to be working correctly. However, when I go to edit an entry in my SP list, the original drop down selections are showing up and NOT the selections that my users made (and what is showing in the SP list). Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps - Cascading Drop Downs (Edit Mode)

What is the value of your DropDown Default? Assuming you are on a form should be Parent.Default

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
12 REPLIES 12
Super User
Super User

What is the value of your DropDown Default? Assuming you are on a form should be Parent.Default

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
mahonebn

Yup, that fixed it! Thanks so much.

teylyn1

How are cascading drop-downs done in the first place in a SharePoint custom list form with PowerApps? I couldn't find much on the web, only for apps that use SP as the data source, but I can't see how I can add a data source in a custom list form. 

Can anyone point me?

Super User
Super User

This video walks you through how I do Cascading dropdowns in PowerApps. It is shown using SharePoint the concept is exactly the same with a different data source.

sharepointguy00

Everything online I've found with exception to this post on Collab365 focuses on cascading dropdowns creating a new app. Maybe I dont totally understand it correctly, but I have a business unit that simply wants to set the properties on there SharePoint based on that choice is made in the prior field.  They need the ability to quickly make changes in the SharePoint list info panel without opening a seperate app.

Shane making a video on "using a cascading dropdown filter in a sharepoint custom form" would be popular I would think. Any help or good articles would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Super User
Super User

HI @sharepointguy00 my video should work fine in a SharePoint form? Are you having issues applying the concept? Maybe this video on customizing SharePoint list forms in PowerApps will help? 

sharepointguy00

@Shanescows you're a life changer. Your response made me test the formulas in the custom form once more and I found the answer through this post

Basically what was stumping me was this formula on the child field...

Distinct(Filter(Projects,Title = PrjNumb.Selected.Value),Project_x0020_Name)

Seems easy I know, but that along with the info on writing the data back to the list such as this..

{
‘@odata.type’ : “#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference”,
Id: Value(LookUp(Projects,Title=PrjNumb.Selected.Value,ID)),
Value: PrjNumb.Selected.Value
}

was just what I needed. Again thanks for your help Smiley Happy

P.S. Try to keep Todd out of trouble.

sharepointguy00

One little thing with this...

I built and tested all this functionality in a list, but in production we are using a library which looks like there isn't the functionality to customize forms yet. Is that true?!

lavint

Hi,

I tried 

Parent.default in the drop down control "Default" Property but it says Expected Text Value...

My issue is when I click on the Edit or form, the cascading drop down fields keep showing the "Default" values, not the user selected values

Any solution? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 212 members 4,914 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: