Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Migrated_User
Level 10

[PowerApps] Connection with an SQL Server

Content migrated from TechNet. Post attribution to: BlackD1ece

Good evening,

I'm starting on trying the new service provided by MS (PowerApps) and I'm not able to connect my SQL Servers to the PowerApp's, as listed on:

https://azure.microsoft.com/es-es/documentation/articles/powerapps-create-api-sqlserver/

And I'm not even close to get the API to work, would like if someone could give me a clue.

First thing is that I log into Azure enviroment and I can't Access PowerApps (while logging in with the APP it lets me).

Also, why is there no option from the app itself to connect to SQL Server enviroments? (Or Dynamics NAV ones).

Edit:

I tried creating a BBDD on Azure, to use it's connection String to add it to PowerApps, but it keeps telling me "The data did not load correctly. Please try again". I tried with all the strings that Azure CMS gives you, and none is working(Firewall on the server is already allowing my connections).

Any clue?

EDIT: I managed to connect via AZURE with the ADO String obtained through Azure CMS. Still unable to connect to a SQL Server not in Azure enviroment.

Thank you very much, best regards.

4 REPLIES 4
Migrated_User
Level 10

Re: [PowerApps] Connection with an SQL Server

Hi BlackD1ece,

From the article:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/powerapps-create-api-sqlserver/

You can connect to SQL Server on-premises. To do it, you need to configure hybrid and leverage existing hybrid networking solutions in Azure.

Let's continue the conversation here.

Thanks,

Wendy

BlackDiece
Level: Power Up

Hello Wendy,

Thanks for the quick reply, 

I actually found that link over my headaches tryin to connect the MS Sql Server to powerapps, the problem is that on my management portal of Azure I got "No permission" to access and manage powerapps from there(So I can't continue from this point :/, actually annoying).

I opened a support ticket to see if this can be solved since I can log-in in powerapps but not from azure, and I'm waiting the response. If you have any clue of what's causing this, I would be very gratefull.

Thank you again, best regards.

PowerApps Staff rekenliu
PowerApps Staff

Accessing PowerApps in Azure portal will be removed soon. Please see the following thread for details:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Powerapps-Option-Missing-from-Azure-Portal/m-p/9...

However, you are still able to connect SQL Azure with the standard PowerApps. Here are steps I shared in anoher post:

1. Use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to connect your SQL Azure database first, and ensure the server name, username, and password are all correct.

2. Compose the connection string as below:
Server=yourservername;Database=databasename;User Id=username;Password=password

3. Modify the connection string. You should be able to see table list in PowerApps.

Thanks,

Reken Liu

Is that done within PowerApps?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 523 members 4,710 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: