cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saganty
Level: Power Up

PowerApps JSON Request

I am trying to build a proof of concept where a field in a PowerApp is validated against a custom api held in an Azure Function. I have created the swagger file for the function which for demo purposes just uses the following JSON as the body in a POST request, and returns a text value back

{

Text1:string,

Text2:string,

Text3:string

}

I have been able to create a custom connector and when used in MS Flow I get presented with the 3 text boxes and it all works fine. My problem comes when calling the same custom connector from PowerApps, since I cannot see how to build a JSON body. Just to prove the concept I am trying to set Text1 to "Text 1", Text2 to "Text 2" and Text3 to "Text 3"

I have tried many variations of the following, where I try and set a variable to the return value and sometimes use char(34) to try and force " into the string, but the body always seems to have the complete string inserted into the Text1 JSON element, and Text 2 and Text 3 are empty

Set(ValidationText,PoC.Validate("{" & Char(34) & "Text1" & Char(34) & ":" & Char(34) & "Text 1" & Char(34) & "," & Char(34) & "Text2" & Char(34) & ":" & Char(34) & "Text 2 Value" & Char(34) & "," & Char(34) & "Text3" & Char(34) & ":" & Char(34) & "Text 3 Value" & Char(34) & "}"))

So in this case when the request arrives at the function Text1 would end up as the string

{"Text1":"Text 1","Text2":"Text 2 Value","Text3":"Text 3 Value"}

and Text2 and Text 3 empty

So how can I construct a JSON body and pass it to ValidationText.POC.Validate, when PowerApps thinks there is just the one parameter required for the function?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps JSON Request

Not exactly an answer but a different perspective.

For me, Flow is so much better at this stuff. What I do with my apps is have PowerApps call Flow. Let Flow deal with the API stuff and then have Flow return to PowerApps just the values I needed. No more PowerApps JSON chaos. Might be worth considering.

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Not exactly an answer but a different perspective.

For me, Flow is so much better at this stuff. What I do with my apps is have PowerApps call Flow. Let Flow deal with the API stuff and then have Flow return to PowerApps just the values I needed. No more PowerApps JSON chaos. Might be worth considering.

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

View solution in original post

Saganty
Level: Power Up

AhI never thought of that option. Being new to PowerApps, I just assumed that it would handle api connections created  with swagger files the same way as Flow does, but my recent experince with PowerApps seems to contradict that. I will certainly give it a go, and report back if it solves the issue. Many thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 430 members 5,405 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: