cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AMR80
Level: Powered On

[PowerApps + SharePoint] Filter Dropdown Based on Previous Selection

New to PowerApps! Trying to allow users to select a location from a Dropdown in a form, and based on what location they choose, the next dropdown will filter for only materials that apply to that location. My data source is a SharePoint list. All the data is in one list. Everything I'm reading and finding online leads me to believe I need separate SP lists to make this work. Is that true?

What I have now:

One SP list with a "Plant" and "Material" Choice column. 

What I think I need: 

Create a separate "Plant" List with one Single line of text column that has each location as a line item. 

Create a separate "Material" List with two columns - Plant and Material -

Change my existing "Plant" and "Material" Choice columns to lookup columns that lookup the info in those other lists. 

Any word from the wise, would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to just be able to write a formula in my PowerApp to tell the Material dropdown which items apply to which "Plant", instead of creating additional lists in my SharePoint site. 

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: [PowerApps + SharePoint] Filter Dropdown Based on Previous Selection

@AMR80 

The key to your question is this statement "only materials that apply to that location"

If these are Choice columns in your SharePoint List, then there is no real distinction of what choices apply to what location.

If that is all true, then yes, you will need, at the least, to have a separate list for materials that will have a Material column and a Location column.  From that, you will then be able to determine and filter choices based on the relationship of Materials to Locations.

I hope that gives you the information you need and is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @AMR80 how are you progressing with this? Was the above reply helpful?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

AMR80
Level: Powered On

Yes, I ended up creating the lists so that there is now a relationship. I'm not sure that I have them formatted correctly: 

List 1: Plant (one text column with all plants listed)

List 2: Plant and Material (Plant=lookup column, Material=text column)

List 3: Cascading Dropdown Reference (Plant=lookup column, Material=lookup column)

Then, when I'm in PowerApps I use the Cascading Dropdown Reference list to do my filtering? 

I'm essentially taking the attached InfoPath form and recreating it in PowerApps. InfoPath.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 115 members 3,930 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: