cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountaintGoat04
Level: Power Up

PowerApps forcing phone format when creating from SharePoint List

Hello,

I am running into a small problem and couldn't find anything on the topic. 

When createing a PowerApp from a sharepoint list. (List > PowerApps > Create App)

When it takes me to the PowerApp page where it prebuilds the app, it is already in "phone" mode. When I go to "File > App Settings > Screen size and Orientation" there is only "Portrait or Landscape" available. I am unable to change the layout style/size/format. I am stuck with the "phone" view as my only option. 

I have created the app from scratch and connected to the data that way, and have all the options I need, but the issue, I think, has to do with the SharePoint intergration not working properly.  

My end goal is to have it so that when people fill out a "Form" they will only see the PowerApp and not the Sharepoint List view.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy to send more information acrross if I am not being clear.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps forcing phone format when creating from SharePoint List

Hey @MountaintGoat04

Happy to help, I can confirm that if you choose the phone option you will not be able to change the specific resolution or aspect ratio - this is a design feature on the PowerApps end.

Could you give me a bit more detail as to what you're trying to achieve that is not working?

Ideally you should create the app in two tabs, one in Phone mode from data and another in Tablet from scratch then try to look at how they handle the respective functions like submit or edit in order to make your own app - this is the best possible way to learn so that going forward you can customize and make anything the way you want and get better knowledge on creating galleries and forms.

However, if you are pressed for time:

My best advice, as a quick and rough method, is to create the app in phone mode from data as you described, then have another tab with your tablet style layout, then copy/paste the screen items from one app to another, for all of the screens. Ctrl+A,Ctrl+C then paste it into a similar screen on the tablet app, for each of the screens - then change their layout and sizing to suit your needs:
image.png

Now after pasting you'll notice there's red X's everywhere as there's no data source currently attached, ignore that for a moment and copy paste the rest of the screens:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now that you have missing datasource red X's everywhere, click on View: Data Sources and add the Sharepoint List that you originally used to create the Phone app:

image.png

Either Select it from a recent list or type out the location of the base Site where the list is stored:
image.png

Now, If you changed the names of the screens like I did, you should only have 8 errors showing when you go to the App Checker, which are all to do with Navigating to those screens:
image.png

Clicking on one of these we can see that the Screen name is wrong, and if we click at the start of the name that has the squiggly red lines underneath, we can change this to the name we changed the screen to: Edit_Screen

image.png

Ok, now that will have cleared two of the errors, do the same for the other items.

image.png

Now we can change the layout of the everything to look however we want, for example:
image.png

Note how the Y, Height and Width properties of the gallery are greyed out as they are formula-based and contain relational sizes - click on the actual 'Y' below the number to jump to its formula if you would like to view/change it.

image.png

With a few quick changes we can make a great-looking application with minimal effort in a matter of minutes:

image.png

If you have any questions about the App you created from scratch feel free to reply with details so that we can resolve any issues Smiley Happy

Once you've created the app this way you would save and share both the SP list (without emailing invite) and the App (sending invite) with the users. You could also NOT send an App invite and instead copy/paste the Web link to share out in a more corporate fashion via an email with details explaining what the users should do and how they can access the app.

image.png

This way the users would only follow the Web link to the App and have no interaction or knowledge of the source list Smiley Happy

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: PowerApps forcing phone format when creating from SharePoint List

Hey @MountaintGoat04

Happy to help, I can confirm that if you choose the phone option you will not be able to change the specific resolution or aspect ratio - this is a design feature on the PowerApps end.

Could you give me a bit more detail as to what you're trying to achieve that is not working?

Ideally you should create the app in two tabs, one in Phone mode from data and another in Tablet from scratch then try to look at how they handle the respective functions like submit or edit in order to make your own app - this is the best possible way to learn so that going forward you can customize and make anything the way you want and get better knowledge on creating galleries and forms.

However, if you are pressed for time:

My best advice, as a quick and rough method, is to create the app in phone mode from data as you described, then have another tab with your tablet style layout, then copy/paste the screen items from one app to another, for all of the screens. Ctrl+A,Ctrl+C then paste it into a similar screen on the tablet app, for each of the screens - then change their layout and sizing to suit your needs:
image.png

Now after pasting you'll notice there's red X's everywhere as there's no data source currently attached, ignore that for a moment and copy paste the rest of the screens:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now that you have missing datasource red X's everywhere, click on View: Data Sources and add the Sharepoint List that you originally used to create the Phone app:

image.png

Either Select it from a recent list or type out the location of the base Site where the list is stored:
image.png

Now, If you changed the names of the screens like I did, you should only have 8 errors showing when you go to the App Checker, which are all to do with Navigating to those screens:
image.png

Clicking on one of these we can see that the Screen name is wrong, and if we click at the start of the name that has the squiggly red lines underneath, we can change this to the name we changed the screen to: Edit_Screen

image.png

Ok, now that will have cleared two of the errors, do the same for the other items.

image.png

Now we can change the layout of the everything to look however we want, for example:
image.png

Note how the Y, Height and Width properties of the gallery are greyed out as they are formula-based and contain relational sizes - click on the actual 'Y' below the number to jump to its formula if you would like to view/change it.

image.png

With a few quick changes we can make a great-looking application with minimal effort in a matter of minutes:

image.png

If you have any questions about the App you created from scratch feel free to reply with details so that we can resolve any issues Smiley Happy

Once you've created the app this way you would save and share both the SP list (without emailing invite) and the App (sending invite) with the users. You could also NOT send an App invite and instead copy/paste the Web link to share out in a more corporate fashion via an email with details explaining what the users should do and how they can access the app.

image.png

This way the users would only follow the Web link to the App and have no interaction or knowledge of the source list Smiley Happy

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 364 members 4,302 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: