cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oskarkuus
Level: Powered On

Protect sharepoint list - let users use powerapp but not have access to SP list?

Is there a way to use Sharepoint as my datasource and not be forced to give all users read and write permissions to the sharepoint list?

My users need to add data and view data from my datasource.

But i would like to be able to protect the datasource.

It is not enough to just "hide" it so it is "hard" for "most" users to find it.

I need to be able to proove that it is protected and my powerapp is the only way to view and write to it unless being a superadmin.

any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Protect sharepoint list - let users use powerapp but not have access to SP list?

Agree with above - also you could create a whole site collection for data storage, and have your lists contained within subsites.

Set the permissions for the site collection and the subsites to admin only, then only give users access to the list itself within that subsite - unless they guessed the name of the sharepoint site collection and of the subsite and then of the list, then it will remain intact (and set it to hidden as above and no indexing for search for additional security)

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Protect sharepoint list - let users use powerapp but not have access to SP list?

@Oskarkuus 

PowerApps runs under the context of the logged in user for most data sources and the SharePoint data source connection is one of them. Permissions would have to be granted to users who need to interact (read/write) with the SharePoint list. 

One option would be to utilize flow to set item permissions after data is submitted to make the list item data entered as Read only for all users or utilize the item level permissions option for SharePoint lists

However, users would still be able to atleast View the data entered

Some options for hiding the SharePoint list would be :-

1) Set the list as a hidden list 

2) Create a default View which shows no items and block users from creating their personal views

3) Set the list search settings to no index (this would ensure the data will not show up in search results)

Super User
Super User

Agree with above - also you could create a whole site collection for data storage, and have your lists contained within subsites.

Set the permissions for the site collection and the subsites to admin only, then only give users access to the list itself within that subsite - unless they guessed the name of the sharepoint site collection and of the subsite and then of the list, then it will remain intact (and set it to hidden as above and no indexing for search for additional security)

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

Do you want the end users to use your app to read/write data from/back to your SP list, but do not have access to your SP list directly?

If you want the end users to use your shared app to read/write data from/back to your SP list, these users must have access to your SP list data source, otherwise, they could not read data from your SP list or write data back to your SP list through this shared app.

Note: The data access permission within a canvas app inherits permissions from the data source itself.

If you want the end users to use your app to read/write data from/back to your SP list, but do not have access to your SP list directly, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 273 members 5,730 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: