cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
david_castillo
Level: Powered On

Question on Pricing for PowerApps Plan 2

We are quite big in terms of our employee count in our organization (around 900 people) and not all of them are going to use PowerApps, plus, not all of them are developers.

If I need our internal IT team to create apps with CDS for us, is it possible to provide only the license for our development team for PowerApps Plan 2, and the rest are o365 PowerApps plans?

The structure will be like this:

App Developers/Makers: Development Team (Plan 2)

App Users: Organization (Employees, o365 Plan)

I found some articles in the community that were confusing, so I asked this one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mogulman
Level 8

Re: Question on Pricing for PowerApps Plan 2

I had a question on Azure SQL DB vs CDS. Follow link in page to find a good discussion on cost. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Hi @david_castillo

From the way that I read the licensing page, this is not possible. In the matrix that's shown in the page beneath, the Office 365 plan provides no access to the CDS.
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/
It seems that your 'App Users' would need to be licensed via 'Plan 1' or 'Dynamics 365'. For a 900 person organisation, this is obviously expensive. Therefore, I hope that someone can prove me wrong in my assessment of how licensing and CDS access works!

mogulman
Level 8

I had a question on Azure SQL DB vs CDS. Follow link in page to find a good discussion on cost. 

View solution in original post

RadVine

Is there any official source that can confirm this?
In my opinion Power Apps would get quite pricy if all users are required to be on the same plan.
40$*700 (user like OP) = 28,000 🤑
Super User
Super User

Hi @RadVine 

You might be interested in this link:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-licensing-options-for-powerapps-and-flow/

From this month, the licensing model changes to a per app/per user model so the P1/P2 method of licensing will be discontinued.

RadVine

The way I understand it is like I mentioned in my post. Larger companies would have to find many use cases for Power Apps & Flow to justify the monthly charges. 😮
mogulman
Level 8

You may want to read this post.  There are 100+ comments on this issue with most showing outrage at new pricing.   I think it will drastically limit PowerApp adoption and force existing users to custom solutions.  The real benefit of PowerApps was being able to do a quick low cost app to solve a simple business need.  The core business apps are still custom apps.  I'm looking at doing an app using ASP.NET Core 3 Razor Pages.  I don't want to deal with cost and managing expensive licenses.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 278 members 3,452 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: