cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carajillu_swri
Level: Powered On

Read from one excel file and write into another

Dear all,

I am devloping an app that needs to deal with 2 files with different permissions in the same screen. I'll call the first file "User File" and the second "Admin file". The User will have read/write permissions for the User File, but only read permissions to the Admin File. The Admin will have read/write permissions for both.

Using Form1, the user will input some data into the app. This data will be written in the User File and a flow will be triggered to notify the Admin that new data is available.

Now it's when it gets tricky. The Admin will need to check this data in Form2. Form2 has the same fields as Form1 plus some more, and the fields that are common in both forms are already filled with the info input by the User. The info in those fields needs to be read from the User File. Then, the admin will complete the form with the rest of the info and submit Form 2. The data submitted in Form 2 should be written to the Admin File.

Therefore, I need a form that reads info from the User File, but then writes it into the Admin File, which I don't know how to do. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
carajillu_swri

Re: Read from one excel file and write into another

Hi Mona,

Thanks for your tip (quoted here for ref)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This can be achieved using Patch function. The formula should be something like:

Patch(Table2,Defaults(Table2),{TitleSmiley Very HappyataCardValue1.Text, ...})

DataCardValue1 is the control name in Form2 with the data that you want to update to Title field of Table2. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I managed to do it storing the contents of form1 as an Item when navigating to form2 and it seems to work, bit of a different approach with similar results.

Thanks,
carajillu_swri

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @carajillu_swri ,

This can be achieved using Patch function. The formula should be something like:

DataCardValue1 is the control name in Form2 with the data that you want to update to Title field of Table2. 

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
carajillu_swri

Hi Mona,

Thanks for your tip (quoted here for ref)

I managed to do it storing the contents of form1 as an Item when navigating to form2 and it seems to work, bit of a different approach with similar results.

Thanks,
carajillu_swri

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 351 members 5,328 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: