cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PhilD
Level 8

Role property of Labels suddenly changed to "Role.Default" with errors

This doesn't seem to have affected the app but all the labels that reference one SharePoint list (Employees) have had the "Role" property (which I never used or even knew about) updated to Role.Default. This made the app light up the app like a Christmas tree with red error Xs when I opened it which of course were not there the last time I edited the app. No changes were made to the SharePoint list and the app is in use and working (apparently).

If I take a new label and insert it on the screen, the Role property says "Default" but when I click in it, the "Role." prefix becomes visible (similar to the way "ScreenTransition" is hidden until you click in the property box) so all is fine. If I take this label though and paste it in a gallery displaying employees, it behaves as the others and the Role.Default displays the squiggly line with an error X.

Manually removing the "Role." prefix seems to correct this but why would this one gallery behave differently than all the others? Just thought that this might either be a clue to a problem with an update in PowerApps so wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

Role Property.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dtoland
Level: Powered On

Re: Role property of Labels suddenly changed to "Role.Default" with errors

@ChrisChong Yeah Find and replace would have been amazing. I'm still working on geting all of them since powerapps is running extremely slow for me. 

The docs I was refering to are just the main ones for powerapps 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-text-box 

The annoying thing is that it doesn't give a link towards additional information for role. This is it:

"Role - The semantic role of the label text, such as Heading 1. Doesn't change the style of the label but makes the output semantically correct for interpretation by screen readers."

6 REPLIES 6
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue @PhilD. I will have the support team review. 

@TopShelf-MSFT

ChrisChong

Any suggestion on how to fix this problem?

Role Problem.jpgEvery card and Text input throws this error. Help please.

dtoland

Anyone get a response on this yet? I have the same issue. App still works but every field has a new red X  due to the .default in the "Role" property.

dtoland

Nevermind, I found the docs of what the field is and though I still don't understand why it just randomly errored out like this for me on an app I haven't customized in over 2 months, the fix is to go to the "Text" variable and copy the name of the reference field (i.e. ThisItem.'Full Name') and just copy the section in the ' so in the example above I copied 'Full Name' with quotes and pasted it in the role field. 

Or even simpler just delete everything in the Role field as it's not a mandatory field.

From the docs this field is just for screen readers so it seams like this should be an accessability notice and not an error but whatever update that corrupted the names to a .default caused it to become a full error. 

ChrisChong

Thanks. Can you reference the docs please?

Aso, it seems to me that this is an argument for a "Find-and-Replace" function. It really was a dog of a time to rectify since I had so many fields exhibiting the error.

Thanks again.

Chris

dtoland

@ChrisChong Yeah Find and replace would have been amazing. I'm still working on geting all of them since powerapps is running extremely slow for me. 

The docs I was refering to are just the main ones for powerapps 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-text-box 

The annoying thing is that it doesn't give a link towards additional information for role. This is it:

"Role - The semantic role of the label text, such as Heading 1. Doesn't change the style of the label but makes the output semantically correct for interpretation by screen readers."

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 214 members 4,238 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: