cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerApps Staff Reza
PowerApps Staff

Re: Server Response ETAG mismatch clientRequestId serviceRequestId

One work around to mitigate the issue is to add Refresh(DataSourceName) function after your patch or submit.

We are actively investigating this to improve the experience. However, this work around should unblock your app.

If you can give us information about expressions that you use in your app, would greatly help us to investigate it faster.

PowerApps Staff Reza
PowerApps Staff

We also found another pattern that can cause this issue:

assume that you have an expression that navigates you to next screen: 

Navigate(DetailScreen1, ScreenTransition.None);Set(myitem, BrowseGallery1.Selected)

Then on the next page you have a form that has its item set to: myitem

In this scenario you would see the ETag issue. Because once you navigate to the next page, we save the value of the selected item to the variable. When you do the first submit, the value and its ETag changes, however, the variable still has the old value. and submit happens against it, not the new value. As a result, server reject it:

To solve this issue:

1- Try to avoid using variable in this scenrios. If you just use the dataflow (i.e. use BrowseGallery1.Selected directly instead of using a variable), we will take care of the changes for you.

2- If you need to use the variable, make sure that you set it again after submit form.

If you have ETag issue and you are not using this patter, please let us know. 

Thanks 

mr-dang
Level 10

Thank you for the clarification, @Reza.

@rodieremix @SmartMeter @tbrantley @PabloDickson and others, can you follow up with us on the results after following Reza's information?

Brian

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
tbrantley
Level: Powered On

Still getting the same error when editing an item.

The error doesn't occur when creating new item.

mr-dang
Level 10

Hi @tbrantley,

It looks like you have added Refresh. Are you using a variable to store the selected record or do you set the Form's item directly to what's selected in the gallery?

@SmartMeter @rodieremix and others--can you respond with:

• what you changed: refresh, gallery.selected vs. variable
  • what other expressions you are using around saving the record--how is your form's Item property configured, OnSuccess, OnFailure, etc.
  • what resulted
  • Session ID and version number 

Brian

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
SmartMeter
Level 8

Thank you so much @Reza and @mr-dang !

No functional changes have been made to this aspect of the app. It has been operational for several months.

The Main form has two galleries. Gallery1 has 2 buttons with "list1" data items. I issue a patch to create a "list2" item in a child list with this code (note refresh of the record that I patch, so gallery 2 refreshes and shows the new child record immediately after it is created. Works like a charm and both lists remain in sync.)

Patch(Fini**bleep**,Defaults(Fini**bleep**),{Issue:{'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",Id:BrowseGallery1.Selected.ID,Value:BrowseGallery1.Selected.Title}},{Title:"Please Assign"},{OData__Status:{'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference",Id:BrowseGallery1.Selected.ID,Value:"Data Collection"}},{TextIssue:BrowseGallery1.Selected.Title});Refresh(Fini**bleep**)

Gallery 2 receives the new child record stub, and displays it just fine. (all well at this point.) Gallery 2 has a button for the stubbed out list item which resides as item collection behind G2. The user assigns it to a person and notates the work ticket. A gallery 2 button simply grabs the currency of the record and navigates to an edit (screen2) with this simple code:
Navigate(EditScreen2, ScreenTransition.None)

When you modify the list item on EditScreen2, sometimes the submit works just fine, but very often when you submit it (with generated code in the upper right "check" box) Bam! you receive the ETAG error. See screenshots below.

PatchCommand.png

This is the session id and ETAG error I receive:

patchcommand2.png

Please keep in mind this app was made several months ago, and I recently added code to allow the FIRST attachment of the primary list gallery to store an image attachment. This code seems to be a coincidence with the error, and since the error happens on the EDIT form, which has no image management on the list, when you simply SUBMIT the form data it errors out. I do not believe it has anything to do with the recent attachment management code. 

Thank you so much for assisting with this issue!

Glad to help test this with you,  

@SmartMeter

SmartMeter
Level 8

How funny, you bleeped my list names! They are named FINISH IT  as in, to finish a generic work task named "IT"

PowerApps Staff Reza
PowerApps Staff

@SmartMeter Thanks for taking the time and posting this. It is very helpful. Some questions:

• What is the expression for your 2 galleries’ item property?
  • What is the expression for your form item property?
  • Why are you using Patch instead of Collect function?

SmartMeter
Level 8

Thank you for the fast response @Reza , 

Gallery1 Items collection:

SortByColumns(Filter(FixIt, Completed = "false"), "Created", If(SortDescending1, Ascending, Descending))

Gallery2 items collection:

SortByColumns(Filter(Finish It, TextIssue = BrowseGallery1.Selected.Title ), "Created", If(SortDescending1, Ascending, Descending))

Edit screen2 "Form item property" is the same list name as gallery2: Finish It    (with no filtering or sorting)

The edit form always displays the proper record, and this app worked for months in prod before some update introduced the ETAG issue. 

I didn't use a collect, since this is not "transient table data." I am working with two SharePoint online list objects, the second being a linked list based on a lookup of the first parent list item. This implements a parent child list where each work ticket can have multiple people assigned to various aspects of the work, and each child list object "record" can have independent notes, assignments, etc. This is persistent data for facility workers. They have a final "simple" app to mark each task "completed" and the aggregate date timestamps paint a statistical picture of the operational efficiency of the team members. Collect, as I understand is a temporary tabular data structure to use within the app,l similar to a global variable table, but I want persisted data with parent child relations managed by this app, since several people use it, and the data is discretely persisted for team updates to the child rows.

Glad to help as needed, I really need this working by next week. I am delighted that this is helpful, since I am quite invested in this software, and I need to make MANY apps since our utility customers are quite pleased with the app paradigm. It seems SQL has trigger and procedure or function invocation "issues" but with SP in the cloud, the data currency (guid confusion?) is the primary issue I have had recently. 

Thanks again @Reza

tbrantley
Level: Powered On

@mr-dang

I'm setting the edit item to BrowseGallery1.Selected

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 221 members 3,408 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: