cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
audrieg
Level 10

Set Field Based on Selection

I want to do something really simple, that appears to be hard. Imagine I have a text box (DataCardValue22) at the top of my form. I add a dropdown to it. Now I want to set an 'OnChange' event to the dropdown that sets the text box text to what was selcted. I tried to add DataCardValue22 = ThisItem.text but it returns an error.

Can anyone help me please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
audrieg
Level 10

Re: Set Field Based on Selection

Here is a screen shot of the settings I have now. It "looks" like it's working in the form (no more error messages) - but when you go to the SharePoint List the resident's name doesn't get added to the Title field.

screen2.PNG

screen.PNG

ANSWER:

I figured out that you just need to select the drop down type in the field list on the right (when you select the control). That way you don't have to configure a new control.

Screen shot.PNG

View solution in original post

audrieg
Level 10

Ok I figured it out. I just needed to select the right field type from the list of fields. I didn't have to delete the text box and replace it with a dropdown. It defaults to text in the card, but you can change it. Way less configuration worries! Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2
audrieg
Level 10

Here is a screen shot of the settings I have now. It "looks" like it's working in the form (no more error messages) - but when you go to the SharePoint List the resident's name doesn't get added to the Title field.

screen2.PNG

screen.PNG

ANSWER:

I figured out that you just need to select the drop down type in the field list on the right (when you select the control). That way you don't have to configure a new control.

Screen shot.PNG

audrieg
Level 10

Ok I figured it out. I just needed to select the right field type from the list of fields. I didn't have to delete the text box and replace it with a dropdown. It defaults to text in the card, but you can change it. Way less configuration worries! Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 3,626 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: