cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandonklittle
Level: Powered On

SharePoint List Title field required

Hello,

I've created a PowerApp that's connected to a SharePoint list.  This list doesn't utilitze the title field and the list is set as a content type, the content type doesn't have title as mandatory and it's hidden.  When I build the app it's showing title as required, so i've set it to false and hidden, yet when I publish my app and use the App from my Iphone, it says that a required field "title" is required. 

I'm not sure how to get around this or why the app is saying it's required when everywhere I check, in the app or the SP list it's not....ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
SmartMeter
Level 8

Re: SharePoint List Title field required

Hi Brandonklittle, 

Just a suggestion since I have been here before. Try to tolerate the title field, since hiding it or even renaming it can come back to cause trouble in several different ways. (Reporting,  xml forms, and as you see- PowerApps.) There is usually some data item that the business usage case can justify stuffing into the title, even if it is just a string of the current date/time to pal around with the data. Remember SP lists are fundamentally records, and though they have hidden record ID's the title is meant to be a way to assist humans who read the list entries. Try to think of it like a "Name/Value" pair or a database record, instead of a number table. (These tools get frustrating very fast, if you try to push the limits.) If you can't allow the text "partner" I would base it on a SQL table. 

brandonklittle

Thanks, I kind of figured that was the case.

I'll see if we can use it and what that looks like.  Renaming the title field would've been an easy solution but also not ideal.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @brandonklittle,

Just as told by @SmartMeter, the title field should be considered as a record identifier.

This field comes with the SharePoint List definition, which is marked as required by default.

However, we could remove the Required tag, which then would have item to update without the Ttile field.

Steps to remove the required tag are as below:

1. If the name of your list or library does not appear on a page, click settings Settings button from SharePoint Online , click Site Contents, and then click the name of your list or library.

2. Click Settings Office 365 Settings button , and then click List Settings or Library Settings.

3. On the List Settings page, in the Columns section, click the Ttile field, which then would naviagte to the column edit page, make sure Require that this column contains information and the Enforce unique values are all set to No:

71.PNG

Tested from my side and it works.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life saving advice...thanks!

Lev

The same situation Error on send Button: "Title: Field required".

Columns in list is OK.

SkeedBiggs
Level: Power Up

@v-micsh-msft wrote:

Hi @brandonklittle,

Just as told by @SmartMeter, the title field should be considered as a record identifier.

This field comes with the SharePoint List definition, which is marked as required by default.

However, we could remove the Required tag, which then would have item to update without the Ttile field.

Steps to remove the required tag are as below:

1. If the name of your list or library does not appear on a page, click settings Settings button from SharePoint Online , click Site Contents, and then click the name of your list or library.

2. Click Settings Office 365 Settings button , and then click List Settings or Library Settings.

3. On the List Settings page, in the Columns section, click the Ttile field, which then would naviagte to the column edit page, make sure Require that this column contains information and the Enforce unique values are all set to No:

71.PNG

Tested from my side and it works.

Regards,

Michael

I've tried that, but it's still showing as a required field when I edit the New Item form using PowerApps... How do I tell PowerApps it's being stupid and it's not a required field please?

Highlighted
Subrahmanyam

Hi  Micheal,

I have a strange issue with this title field. I assign the User().FullName but its not taking it. in my list I am not able to see User Full name. I am assigning to Default property in Power Apps

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 69 members 2,998 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: