cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajarac
Level 8

Sharing the data source - Excel OneDrive

Good Morning, I have this question that concerns me regarding data privacy??

As you know once I have ready my app to be shared I need to share in power app with 2 choices: Can Edit / Can Use.

and at the same time I need to go to onedrive and the data.xlsx file has to be shared with the same people so these can add or read records, otherwise they will get a powerapps erros "Unable to load.....".

My question if I have a form and that form is a submit form without record navigation, how can I share the excel file so the users can still add or sbmit a new form without compromise the data file? I am asking because when I share the excel file people get an email notification.

Thank in advance for any response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sajarac
Level 8

Re: Sharing the data source - Excel OneDrive

Nobody replied but finally I was able to find the solution, I am sharing results just in case other users have the same question:

You need to share the date file so other users can submit their info, but you don't want that other users see your datsource in case your app is a submit form.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sajarac
Level 8

Nobody replied but finally I was able to find the solution, I am sharing results just in case other users have the same question:

You need to share the date file so other users can submit their info, but you don't want that other users see your datsource in case your app is a submit form.

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

Hello Sajarac,

Shared users can still see the excel file as you have shared it to them in one drive.

Have you found any solution to restrict the users not to have access to the shared file.

Regards,

Naga

sajarac
Level 8

Hi, and thank you very much for your response, unfortunatelly not yet. but correct me if I am wrong:

I was making apps using forms like your samples with 3 screens one for browse, one for review and one for edit. in this way the PA needs access to the excel file in order to see data, edit and save. so if I don't share the excel file with my users they will get at some point "ERROR" bacause the app can't read the database.

So I think thet the best way to have an app which is a submit app not a form is to create a collectionand with patch function? in this way the users doesn't need access to the excel file but they are able to save the data?

is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

For saving the data in excel should also have add permissions to the users to add any data to the excel. And the another part is to view the data in PA from excel file which should be shared to the users, also the users have access to the users to modify the data.

You said you have unchecked the option of sending the email to users while sharing the file. Have you checked, whether user can view the excel file from One drive?

Regards,

Naga

sajarac
Level 8

Hi, yes the users in the "Share with Me" are able to see the file. regardless is they received or not the file email confirmation.

Then it is not good in any point of security concerns. I don't why how PA has given option to use excel as data storage if there is no solution for this Data privacy issue.

DYONS93
Level: Powered On

When using one table by sheet of Excel file and then one powerApp by table, the solution given may help to share only one sheet and not the whole file as nobody received the link to the file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 388 members 4,575 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: