cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russrimm
Level: Powered On

Spaces end up as unicode characters

Hi all,

I've created a powerapp is launched from an e-mail generated by flow that includes a link to my powerapp with two parameters in the URL.  The two parameters include spaces.  

If I put a label field in my powerapp to display the parameters, they look perfect.  

I have a button in the app that initiates another flow and passes these two parameters to an "Append file" in the flow to ultimately write the two parameter values to a text file on an on-prem server via PowerApp gateway.

If I open the text file in notepad, it looks perfect.

If I do a "type file.txt" in a command-prompt to view the file, or open it in Notepad++ or any other advanced text editor, I can see that the spaces have been transformed into non-displayed unicode characters.  

For example: OS Updates 2019-07-17 11:31:54,OS Updates 2019-07-17 11:31:55

I cannot figure out what is causing these characters to be there or how to get rid of them.  I'm also not sure if it's Flow doing it or Powerapps adding them.  I suspect it's Flow, however, as originally they were showing up as plus (+) where each space was, so I did a replace expression to replace the unicode + with a unicode space.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Spaces end up as unicode characters

Yeah, I would avoid spaces in your Params wherever humanly possible - think about it this way, can you name me a website that has a space in any of its web addresses? The params are passed over a URL to the App so they will never have actual spaces in them as URLs don't support space characters.

What I normally do is collect my Params OnAppStart to local variables, that way you don't have to change it throughout the App when you make any changes to their format, you just change the one place.

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

It looks like the format its trying to write is not in UTF-8 and hence that's not getting picked up. Have you checked the advanced settings for all the various output stages of your flow?

Could you instead replace with an actual _ (not using escape code and unicode) as a workaround?

russrimm
Level: Powered On

Well the parameters I'm using have spaces in them.  Even though the URL in the e-mail shows spaces, as soon as you click the link, it replaces the spaces with +'s.  Are you saying to convert the spaces to underscores, and then have the Powerapp convert the underscores back to spaces when it receives the parameters?

Super User
Super User

Yeah, I would avoid spaces in your Params wherever humanly possible - think about it this way, can you name me a website that has a space in any of its web addresses? The params are passed over a URL to the App so they will never have actual spaces in them as URLs don't support space characters.

What I normally do is collect my Params OnAppStart to local variables, that way you don't have to change it throughout the App when you make any changes to their format, you just change the one place.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 104 members 3,286 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: