cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jake-Harvey
Level: Powered On

Submitting multiple Items into a SharePoint List and assigning a common submission ID

Hi, 

I'm building a procurement solution and want to use PowerApps as the means of submitting a new request. 

A user should have the ability to submit multiple items at once but I'd like a "Requisition ID" column to be populated with a common identifier, similar to when you make a shopping purchase online (the order would have an order ID but would be related to multiple items). 

It's possible previously in InfoPath but it would be great if I could create the same functionality in PowerApps

Any ideas? 

14 REPLIES 14
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Submitting multiple Items into a SharePoint List and assigning a common submission ID

Hi @Jake-Harvey,

Submit multiple items should be possible.

We could take use of Patch function and the forall function to patch a collection into SharePoint list.

The below is a thread for reference:

Patch a collection of items to SharePoint list.

Besides, would it be convenient for you to share the SharePoint List structure?

If for shopping, we could create a collection, then add the selected item into the collection first, once finished, with a Submit Button to patch the collection into SharePoint list.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nickjgill

Re: Submitting multiple Items into a SharePoint List and assigning a common submission ID

I am working on a similar "order" app. I am stuck on a similar part as @Jake-Harvey. Currently, my powerapp is pulling an "item/products" list from Sharepoint. There is an add to cart button next to each item in the list. Clicking the add to cart adds the items to a collection titled "Shoppingcart". At the end of the order the user will click submit to Patch the ShoppingCart collection to Sharepoint.

Here is where I am stuck:

I was thinking I would need two Sharepoint Lists. List 1 will be "Orders". This will be the information such as shipping information and would hold shipping status info. List 2 will be "Order Lines" which will contain the information of each item being ordered in the order. Order Lines is related as a Child to Orders.

I understand having the ShoppingCart collection Patch to the Order Lines list. How do I also create a parent Order record and relate it to the Order Lines?

MaWi

hey nickjgill

have you finished your order app? I am working on something similar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Has there been any progress on this?  I'm working on something similar.

I have a quote header and quote lines table in SQL.  I can add/update to the quote header okay.  I can add/update to the quote lines okay, but...

I would like to enter multiple quote lines for a single header without the end user hitting submit multiple times.

Super User
Super User

I have a video for this about 90% done. The last 10% is just killing me and it is little things like how Tab behaves. Smiley Happy 

Two different ways for you guys to tackle this. 

1. Set the OnChange of your input boxes to update the data source every time someone types in info.
  2. My preferred. Put all of the input into a Collection. Then when they press submit form do a ForAll to cycle through the collection and patch the data back to SharePoint. 

Does that help point you in the right direction? 

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the reply.  

I think i'll give the second method ago.  The first method would require more SQL interaction and impact performance(?).

I'll feedback on my progress.

Naresh

Frds,

I need your help in the same kind of scinerio

I have saved all my order items into the collection

How to patch all the order items and submit all the items at the once in the final submit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I eventually overcame my requirement by using tabbed forms rather than different screens.

I believe when using different screens it is possible to duplicate the first screen and then remove the fields you do not want from the screens.  Then use the Patch function on the last screen.

Check out the tabbed option from https://wonderlaura.com or Audrie Gordan.

Naresh

Thank you for the response.

I have a tab view on the front screen for different purpose

So i need to go with the last screen submision.

I m using two sharepoint lists one for request(parent) and other for orders(Child)

I not sure how to save the order details on the sharepint list on the final submit using the patch function.

Please any response will be more appriaciated

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 348 members 5,304 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: